19 - Escape Plan

Madison's POV

"Maybe you should speak with Charles" Mom said.

"I will. I will." I assured her. When we got home, Heather's car is already gone, meaning she left already. As we go inside, Charles is already sitting at the living room reading a book. 

"Daddy!" Artie shouted and ran to Charles. 

I didn't say a word and headed to Alec's nursery to let him sleep peacefully. 

I want to go now, but I have to have a plan first. I don't even have enough cash to make us last for a while. I decided to text Luke. 

To: Luke

          Hey, can we meet now?

From: Luke

         Why? What's the matter?

To: Luke

           I want to ask you a favor. Can I go to you place now?

From: Luke

           You're making me nervous, but go on. 

I got into the living room where Charles and Artie are. 

"Artie, let's go change your clothes" I said with a smile, thinking Charles is not at the room. 

Artie ran towards me and we held hands. We went to his room and I changed his clothes. He is getting bigger and bigger, I wish my sister can see him now. 

"Mommy, can I play?" he asked. I nod and he smiled. 

"Mommy's going out, if you need anything you can ask Grandma" I said to him. He didn't answer, but he joyfully played with his toys. 

I went to y mother and asked her to look after Alec while I leave. 

"What are you going to do?" she asked. 

"I will tell you when I get back." I said to her. 

I left without saying goodbye to Charles. 

______________

"So what is the favor you want to ask?" Luke asked me. 

"I need to borrow some cash and a car" I said to him. He didn't respond right away. 

"Why? you're richer than me anyways" he said. 

"Charles is divorcing me, and he is going to take my kids. I don't want that" I started to cry. I sounded awful. 

"Are you sure he is going to divorce you?" Luke asked. 

"I heard him and Heather talking about shit" I said to him. Luke comforts me as he gave me a hug. 

"What made him think to divorce you?" Luke asked. 

"He saw me in bed with Alfred and I didn't know what happened." I respond to him. 

"That Alfred Nolan, fuck that guy!" Luke started to be mad. 

"I know, I trusted him and it is a mistake. I apologized to Charles, but he just made me feel invisible... And then I heard him and Heather speaking about divorce and child custody." I said to him. 

"You should speak to Charles first." Luke said. 

-----------------

When I got home, Charles is talking to someone on the phone. I rushed upstairs, trying to avoid him. 

"Madison" he spoke.  I stopped and looked at him without saying any words. 

"Luke called me, he said you're planning on leaving" he said. He sounded different. 

I didn't respond to him as I avoid looking at his eyes. 

"Madison..." he acquiesced. 

"I heard you and Heather talking this morning. If you want to divorce me, then go on. But don't take my children away from me." I said with a straight face. 

He looks stunned with my words. 

"I am not divorcing you. I will never do that." he said. I started crying, shit I can't cry. 

"But it looks like you already did. You pretend that I don't exist anymore" I replied to him. 

He walks towards me and embraced me. 

"I am sad, I am angry with myself because I didn't follow you that night when you walked away. I wish I did something so you didn't end up in that situation." he said. 

I just realized I am wrong for thinking that he is mad at me. He blamed himself for not being there.

"I thought you're mad at me." I said to him. 

"I love you, how can I be mad at you?" he said. His words made me cry even more. Despite everything that I did, this man, this man still loves me. 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry that I thought about leaving. I love you even more" I said to him. 

________________

That evening Charles and I slept in the same bed again. We swore to leave everything behind and forget all the things. 

I am thankful of Luke for talking to Charles. He really is a good man, and I hope that Camilla won't hurt him.

-------------------------

The following day is better. I started feeling great. Charles and I are going very well, but I still have doubts with Heather. 

I woke up early and prepared for breakfast. Charles was there and he enjoyed my pancakes.

"I will take Artie to school" Charles said. 

"Don't you have anything to do in Elmyra?" I asked him.

"There's nothing much to do yet." he replied. 

"It felt like everything is spinning" then I started feeling dizzy. 

"Madison!" I heard Charles say and then I kind of lost it. 

________________

I woke up lying on the hospital bed and Charles was there. 

"Madison, thank God" Charles said then he hugged me. 

"What happened?" I asked him. 

"You were unconscious. I am so worried." he said. 

"Did Artie made it to school?" I asked. 

"Yes, your mother took care of everything." he replied. 

The Doctor arrived soon. 

"Mr. Newman, Mrs. Newman, I am Dr. Montgomery. " she said. She smiled a big smile. 

"Am I alright Dr.?" I asked her. 

"Yes you are very fine. and you're having a baby!" she said happily.  I didn't have a reaction right away. 

"You are five weeks pregnant Mrs. Newman. Congratulations!" she said. Charles is not smiling either. This child could be or not be his. 

Charles kissed me on my temple. "Charles..." I tried to speak with him, but he is distracted by his thoughts.