3 - People Whispers

CHARLES

While Heather and I are speaking about her problems regarding her marriage, she started crying.

"This wouldn't happen if I didn't marry him." she said.

"You already did, you just need to work things out." I replied.

She looked at me and kissed me.

I stopped her.

"I'm sorry" she said.

"Heather, I think you need to go now." I said to her.

"Okay, goodbye." she said.

It was really awkward. I didn't expect she would do that.

Heather left and I decided to look for Madison. She must be with the kids. We still have to talk about what our problems.

MADISON

I left the moment I saw them. I cried silently.

"Madison" Charles saw me crying.

"Why are you crying?" he asked.

I can't stop myself and I slapped him.

"What is that for?" he asked.

"I saw you with Heather" I said.

"It's not what you think, she just kissed me. It didn't mean anything." he replied.

"Charles, I saw what I saw." I replied. I still can remember how they kissed.

"We are going to speak about this, right?" he said.

I didn't answer. I don't know what to do now. I started to feel that our marriage is falling apart.

"Madison, I'm sorry about how I treated you yesterday. I am really exhausted and sad about what happened to my mother." he continued.

"I'm sorry about Heather, I didn't know she will do that. I stopped her and asked her to leave." he said.

"You know how much I love you. You know I won't do anything to ruin our family." he added.

He embraces me. I just wanted us to be happy again, I just wanted everything back the way they were.

"I'm sorry too" I said to him. We kissed and it certainly didn't feel the same, maybe I was caught up with Heather.

"Tomorrow will be mother's funeral." he said.

I nod and I remained embracing him. I still wanted to feel the warmth.

---------------
The next day, we prepared for Mrs. Newman's funeral. I also dressed Artie and Alec so we can all go.

We headed to his mother's home. There were many people already. And it is obvious that they are all looking at me. People started whispering as we get in the house. They must be talking about me, rumors started passing.

I heard someone said "Why is she here?"

I wanted to answer that, but I don't want to make a scene and ruin this day.

Camilla ignored me. She just greeted Charles and the kids. I don't really know how to change her feelings towards me.

Luke greeted me.

"Madison" he said. Camilla started pulling Luke's arms signaling him to leave me alone.

"Luke" I said to him before he finally followed Camilla.

The funeral went on. Charles started speaking telling that he is thankful for the people who came. He started telling how much he loves his mother and that he will continue to do his best for Elmyra.

I know how sad he is, and I feel guilty that I do things to make him feel worse.

The funeral is done and people started leaving when I decided to speak to Camilla. I gave Alec and Artie to Charles for awhile as he speaks with some guests.

"Camilla, I know you're mad at me. But please, I really wanted us to be in peace." I said to her.

"Madison, please don't play nice." she said.

"Camilla, it's not like that. We are all sad about your mother's passing, because we're family." I said.

"Family? Madison, you know you are just a baby maker who seduced my brother and killed my mother!" Camilla said. I slapped her.

"Don't you dare look down on me! I didn't force myself to be a baby maker. You must've forgotten your mother asked me to carry your brother's child. It's not me who wanted it all." I said to her.

"Madison." Charles said, but I ignored him.

I saw people started looking at us. They must've heard our conversation. I don't care what they think anymore.

I started crying, so I left the house to go to the garden. I cried and cried while no one is around. I really wanted to just disappear. I don't really want to be with all this people anymore.

I sat on the stone trying to collect my scattered thoughts. I looked on the ground, then I saw someone's shoes.

"It is quite a scene." he said. I looked up and saw this handsome man.

He hands over his handkerchief.

"This may help" he said as he smiled. I grabbed the handkerchief to wipe my tears.

"Who are you?" I asked him.

"Alfred Nolan, I'm your husband's friend." he said.

"Oh, nice to meet you" I said to him.

"You must've been devastated knowing that people think it was you who did it." he said.

"Yes, it's really hard to think that I've been there when she died." I replied.

"I hope you'll get through all of it." he said.

"Thank you" I replied.

"Well, I must go" he said as he left. I don't know him, but it's good to hear someone knows what I feel.