21 - The Enemy

Elmyra remained the way it was. It is still the busiest place in Hartford. Charles on the other hand is preoccupied. He didn't even manage to greet anyone and just stayed distracted. 

"Sir....sir?" Dylan spoke to him. 

"Yes?" it took Charles a minute to finally respond. 

"Mr. Nolan is here Sir" Dylan replied. 

Charles took a deep breath before finally speaking again. "Let him in" he said. 

Dylan nods and rushes to the door. He said something that Charles couldn't hear. 

Alfred walked inside his office with that usual spirit that Charles is irritated to. 

"Congratulations! We have finished such magnificent project." Alfred spoke. 

Charles stared blankly, thinking that it is odd for Alfred to say such thing. 

"Cut the crap, Alfred" Charles said. 

"Charles, I just want you know that I would like to celebrate our success. That's it" Alfred replied. 

Charles still doubts about all of this. 

"Go on" Charles said. 

"I was planning on celebrating in Milford, my yacht just got there." Alfred replied. 

"Fine. I suppose that is also your farewell party. You must be going back to Vermont." Charles replied.

"What makes you say that?" Alfred replied with a smile. 

Charles felt something, he is getting angrier. 

"Are  you planning to stay here?" Charles asked. 

"I have this thing for Hartford's young wives. We will see" Alfred replied. 

Charles didn't answer. He tries to stay calm, not letting Alfred get to his nerves. 

"So how is she?" Alfred asked. He is asking about Madison. 

"She's none of your business" Charles replied. 

"I'm sorry for the trouble." Alfred replied. 

Charles can't believe that Alfred is saying sorry. 

"Anyway, I planned the celebration this weekend, I will sending you an invite" Alfred added. Charles didn't speak and watched Alfred walk out of his office. 

------------------------

MADISON'S POV

I am feeling sick every morning, it feels even worse than my first pregnancy. Good thing my mom is here to help me out, it feels so good to have her around. 

I can't stop thinking about Relina too, she is the only woman who was there for me at first. I'm sure she must've been very happy now that I will have my second pregnancy, and my third child. 

Arthur had been asking where Relina was. I can't just tell him the very sad story of how she left. Instead I tell him how much Relina wants him to do good things and study hard. Relina basically became his third mother. I wish she is still here with us. 

"Madison, are you hungry?" Mom asked. 

"I'm still full, I just feel sick" I replied to her. 

"You should take a rest, I will take care of everything." Mom replied. 

"Thank you Mom" I replied with a smile. 

"It's nothing" she replied. 

I lay down on the couch and relax. I want to think of the good things, I want to be positive for the sake of the child. But still things bother me, like Camilla. How can she be so mean?

I don't want her to know that I am pregnant. It will drive her crazy and suspect that the baby isn't Charles'

Well I still don't really know who the father is. I don't want to know either, it is important not to know that truth since it can hurt me, and Charles, the most. 

---------------

That evening, Charles finally came home. 

"Did you hear anything from Alfred?" Charles asked. Why is he asking about Alfred? I don't want to talk about him anymore. 

"Ahmm none" I said. I sounded very different. 

"Our project has ended, I was expecting that he will leave Hartford soon, but he isn't" Charles said. 

"Why would he stay here?" I asked.  I wanted him to leave. 

"He went to my office this morning. He wanted to have a celebration, a party of some sort in his yacht in Milford" Charles replied. 

"Are you coming?" I asked him. 

"I won't, it's stupid to see him throw a party" Charles replied. He started looking so mad. 

"Let's not talk about him, go upstairs and change your clothes" I told him then kissed him on the cheek. 

"Yes, we better not talk about him" He replied. 

---------------

A man holding a camera is taking pictures of Charles and Madison. He is also smoking a cigarette while taking shots. 

He took a piece of paper from his pocket. He looked at the writing:

Charles Newman

Madison Baker

YOU WILL PAY