49. Stressful

1014 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written February 11 2021
Posted March 11 2021

Time passed with ease after the incident and Kaito's promise to be more careful when it came to his own health. During that time there'd been 5 more dead bodies abandoned in the warehouse, making the total number of deaths for the case amount to 18, all of which were still unnamed. It was a very alarming kill count, one that had eventually forced the officials to release a statement about it. The number had grown too high for them to risk the public finding out by accident.

Kaito was feeling almost as stressed as the sleuth when it came to the case. The magician absolutely hated seeing the other upset, which in turn made himself upset for Shinichi. It was hard since the only really long cases that have given so few leads that they'd worked on together in the past had always been intertwined with one of the Crows' operations. They'd taken both the main and the mystic side branch out so they didn't have to worry about it being the Crows, but despite that fact, it still made them leery. It was nearing the end of October, which meant that the criminals had managed to do their work for over a month without messing up enough to give the police any leads.

"I think we should stop thinking about the case Shinichi" Kaito called softly from the washroom where he'd been checking himself out in the mirror. He'd decided to forgo applying makeup to hide the bags under his own eyes today, that way the sleuth would really understand how serious he was. The magician popped out of the washroom "The stress is bad for both of our health and we're not getting anywhere" It was frustrating, completely frustrating.

Shinichi frowned, reaching over to touch near Kaito's eyes to check for makeup, he found none. That meant that the other had been wearing makeup to hide the stress. His shoulders slumped, he knew that Kaito was right, for the other to actually look bad, it had to be really bad "I don't want to" He sighed, not arguing but instead stating a fact.

Kaito nodded sympathetically "I know, but a break is needed" He took Shinichi's arm, stepping back so that he was pulling the other into the washroom "You look worse than me, and we've both lost an unhealthy amount of weight" The healthy weight that he'd gained a few weeks ago had left him along with some of his previous weight. Ai had started fussing over both of their eating habits lately, especially his own.

The sleuth grimaced as he observed their reflections in the mirror and compared the two of them "Why are you so thin?" He hadn't noticed since Kaito had always been around him, but now that he was comparing the two of them, it was easy to see that Kaito was a lot thinner than he should be.

"Eating isn't as fun when I'm stressed" Kaito gave Shinichi a knowing look "The same applies for you" It was just affecting him worse since he needed to eat a lot more than most people due to being a pregnant werewolf "I have been eating a lot, just not as much as I apparently need to" He offered a small shrug "At least I don't forget to eat"

"...That hasn't happened in a while" Shinichi breathed, cheeks tinted. It wasn't his fault that he got really into things.

Kaito nodded "True, but we're both stressed enough over the case that it's affecting our health"

Shinichi met Kaito's gaze and sighed "Fine, but it's not like I can just stop thinking about it" That wasn't how he worked.

"I know" He wasn't stupid, it would take a lot to completely stop the other from thinking about an active case "I'm planning on distracting you" Kaito grinned mischievously, tail swaying behind him excitedly "There's going to be a Halloween party, and we're both going to attend"

The sleuth made an uneasy face "A costume party?" He didn't have a lot of good memories when it came to them. They always made things more difficult whenever someone inevitably died "I'm not sure that something like that will be de-stressing..." If anything it sounded like it'd be a stressful event.

Kaito snickered, already guessing where the other's thoughts had gone to "It will only involve close relations, no acquaintances or anything and it's not being hosted by Sonoko-chan" A wry grin spread across his lips "It won't be another mass murder getaway" Sonoko has still yet to learn that here trips often ended with lots of death.

Shinichi's face scrunched up "Don't say that, that makes it sound like murder was the intended outcome"

"Well..." Indigos gleamed "It happens so often that I have been starting to wonder..." Kaito laughed, dodging Shinichi's hand that'd swatted at his head "You've got to admit though, she does host them a lot more than she should considering what always happens at them"

"I-" The sleuth scowled, unable to really argue against that, Kaito did have a valid point after all.

Kaito smirked "You know I'm right"

"Sonoko is just..." Shinichi paused "Dim when it comes to things like that" Even Ran had stopped being completely surprised whenever someone died at one of her events, which was kinda sad now that he thought about it.

Kaito clicked his tongue with a smile "Fine, you can ignore my correct point if you want but I can guarantee that there shouldn't be a murder"

"Not death?" Shinichi raised a brow.

"I'm not a miracle worker even though it may seem like it" Kaito pouted, crossing his arms.

The sleuth smiled "Fine, I'll go"

Kaito blinked "You kinda had to, it's being held here"

"What?"

"It's my home too you know" The magician grinned "It's going to be so fun, you'll be a vampire and I'll be a werewolf"

Shinichi gave Kaito a funny look "Really?"

"Of course!" Kaito beamed "Everyone will be amazed and wondering how I got such reactive ears and tail"

"... That's both mean and dangerous Kaito" Shinichi chided, figuring that the other was going to have the glamour dropped temporarily if he was saying things like that.

Me: I set the timeline where it was so that it would cover Halloween because how could I not in a werewolf story?

... I always appreciated the odd house that gave juice boxes for Halloween since we never remembered to bring drinks...

Hope you enjoyed~

0.0 I despise peppers, the crunch, the taste, the smell... Bleh it seeps into things so picking it from pizza leaves a horrid taste >.<

Not taking about the hot ones but the normal ones XD

Least fav veggie?