42. Chapter 42

1018 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written December 9 2020
Posted January 7 2021

Kaito grinned "Of cour-" He paused, glancing at the sleuth's phone that had started to go off "Maybe another time" That ringtone had been set specifically for calls from division one.

Shinichi shot him an apologetic look as he answered the call "Megure-keibu?" He inquired, frowning when the inspector informed him about what had happened. His shoulders sagged "Understood, I'll see you there"

"Another murder?" Kaito guessed, there wasn't much Shinichi would be called for anyways, at least not by Megure.

"Yeah, another body was found at the warehouse" He eyed Kaito "Did you wire the cameras to allow the police access without you?"

Kaito shook his head "No, general access is too easy to break into, only our phones can connect to it"

"Okay, so that's why he never mentioned anything about reviewing the footage" Shinichi concluded.

The magician shrugged "I guess I'll go too, I have nothing else to do today"

Azure gleamed "As Kaito or Kai?"

Kaito hummed "I'll stick with being able to use my thumbs this time" Since he was the one to set up the cameras for them, he was already technically involved. There would be no problem if he were to butt in, he was well known by division one due to his association with Shinichi.

Shinichi couldn't help the snort that escaped him "Thumbs are great"

With their decision made, the two got changed and called a cab. Shinichi didn't have a car because that was just asking for something to happen when it came to his luck, the reason why Kaito didn't have one, was because he liked to find more fun ways to get around.

Kudo-kun, Kuroba-kun" Megure greeted the latter with a bit of surprise, having not expected the magician to tag along "The body is in the same place as before" Shinichi nodded before heading in.

"I'll bring up the video footage" Kaito stated, whipping out his phone, selecting and sending the correct files to the officer. Having the officer use his phone or hover over his shoulder to watch it hadn't sounded like something he'd enjoy. He's gotten better with hanging around law enforcement, but he still had his limits.

Megure was silent for a few moments "... I'll give it to Takagi-kun" He wasn't good with phones, and the newer ones were so complicated. Takagi was better with them, especially when it came to cameras and videos.

Kaito couldn't help but smile at the other's reaction "You just have to click on it, no fancy stuff required" At least not when it came to sending the inspector things. He wasn't that cruel.

The inspector perked up "I see"

Judging that the other would be fine with viewing the recording, Kaito headed inside, swiftly making his way up into the rafters to check on his cameras. Occasional cleaning was important when it came to leaving electronics somewhere abandoned. The whole process would end up being pointless if animals decide to make a nest to obscure the view.

By the time he finished checking everything, the body was already being removed "Still no luck?" He inquired, noting the unease on Shinichi's face.

"I'm going to call in the FBI for some help" The sleuth sighed, feeling defeated.

Indigos softened "These guys will be caught, you've taken down worse groups" He had faith in the other's skills. If only they could pinpoint a common connection between all of the victims, then maybe he could lure them out by playing decoy.

Shinichi offered a small smile "Thanks"

"Since everything is done here, what do you think about trying to eat out?" Getting home, then ordering and having to wait for said food to arrive would take too long. He also didn't want to cook anything.

Shinichi contemplated the idea before agreeing"I wouldn't mind eating out, what do you have in mind?" They didn't eat out often, usually they ordered in. They came across less murders that way.

"How about that new ramen shop that just opened up a few weeks ago? I think it's called RamiRamen?" Kaito suggested.

A ramen shop? It'd actually been a long time since he'd eaten from one before "Yeah" Shinichi smiled "That sounds good" Much better than instant noodles at least.

"Right" Kaito nodded, pulling out his phone, calling a new cab. Hopefully the one from before was still around so they wouldn't have to wait too long "I feel so hungry, lunch feels like so long ago" He slouched, forcing Shinichi to hold him up.

Shinichi rolled his eyes at the other's dramatics "You'll be fine, it takes longer than a few hours to starve"

The magician pouted, sticking out his tongue "Doesn't change the fact that I'm hungry" He complained.

"You could have grabbed a snack before we left" Shinichi countered with a smirk.

"But I wanted to eat with you, I didn't want to get full" Kaito whined.

"Kaito, it takes more than a small snack to fill you up" Shinichi sighed with fond exasperation.

Indigos glinted mischievously "Maybe I wanted to eat lots of nice food instead of a snack?"

Shinichi snorted "Stop talking Kaito" With how this was going, the conversation would have been both pointless and endless. He also knew that the other was just talking for the sake of being annoying.

The magician pouted "Rude" But after that he stayed quiet, deciding to enjoy leaning against him instead. When the taxi finally arrived, he almost didn't want to go in, but he had. Even if it wasn't as nice as leaning against Shinichi had been.

"This place looks nice" Shinichi eyed the restaurant's front after they exited the cab. He'd been expecting a childish logo since the name hadn't sounded professional. Instead the logo was a cartoon style bowl of steaming ramen.

Kaito nodded in agreement "I hope the inside is as nice as the outside" Indigos narrowed as he took note of the store hours "We should head inside, it closes in 10 minutes" That was a shame "I guess we're going to be eating outside tonight" Thankfully it wasn't too cold out and the place offered takeout.

"I didn't realize how late it was" Shinichi breathed as they hurried into the shop, it was almost 10pm. At least ramen shouldn't take too long to prep.

"Same" Kaito agreed.

Me: So the FBI are going to help, hopefully it will work~

Hope you enjoyed~

•~• Cookie dipped in water, try it... Makes it taste more like cookie