63. Good Work

1018 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written June 18 2021
Posted July 15 2021

Kaito and Saguru worked together on the pond for a few more hours. They'd ended up taking multiple breaks and the magician had rotated between his wolf form and human form after each break. Each form used some different muscles so it had allowed Kaito to keep going a bit longer than his friend.

"I think that the pond's shape and depth is good now" Kaito mused, it was deep enough to reach just a few inches above their knees, and the sides were looking a lot more clean and gradual. A thin layer of good cement and some dirt on top would help prevent the water from being absorbed too easily. The location had been chosen for it's shade and general wetness as well.

Saguru nodded in agreement "Once the bottom is added in, it shouldn't be as deep" He felt sore, but the good kind of sore one felt after doing a lot of hard work.

"I wonder if I should buy or just find some large rocks to set around it" Sitting on rocks near bodies of water was nice.

"It depends on if you find any suitable rocks I guess" The blond glanced down at himself then at Kaito "Since we're finished with the pond for now, I propose that the two of us wash up" They were both caked in mud since the deeper dirt had been fairly damp.

The magician blinked "Oh, you're probably right" He glanced down at himself, he was a lot filthier than Saguru due to him digging in his wolf form. Now that the other had mentioned it, he could feel it all over his body and in his hair. Kaito shot Saguru a small smile "I guess being covered in mud doesn't bother me as much as it used to anymore" It really hadn't registered to him about just how covered in mud he'd been while they'd been working.

"Since you're not as bothered, I'll shower first" Saguru replied. There were two washrooms, but the second one was currently having it's shower stall being replaced with a bathtub so it wasn't connected to any water yet.

Kaito snorted, of course "Go ahead, I can wait" When Saguru left, he shifted into a wolf and shook himself, feeling pleased when a good amount of dirt went flying. He repeated the action a few more times before rolling in a nice patch of grass to get some of the more wet dirt off of him. When he got as clean as he could get without licking his fur, he curled up on a different patch of grass, resting his chin on a tree root. The position was very comfortable. Maybe too comfortable he realized as he began to doze off.

The magician was later woken by something running through his fur, indigos opened to see Shinichi sitting down next to him, azure soft as he held a brush "You were gone longer than we thought you'd be" Kaito yawned, nuzzling the sleuth's knee since it was near his head.

"I ran into a murder" There'd been a few since they'd started working on the house, thankfully it'd been nowhere close to the amount that normally happened in Beika. Shinichi gently stroked the brush through the other's fur, carefully dislodging a dried clump of dirt as he did so "You're such a mess" The sleuth breathed fondly.

Kaito's pelt warmed nicely at the other's words, Shinichi looked a lot calmer than he usually did after murders. Yes he was often well composed, but the sleuth actually looked quite pleased compared to his usual post murder case self. Coming to Kyoto had been a good idea "Getting dirty is what got the job done a lot sooner than if I'd been careful about getting dirty" There'd been no point in cleaning up much until they'd finished for the day.

Shinichi smiled as he pulled out his phone to show Kaito the screen "Look" He'd taken a photo of Kaito sleeping.

The wolf's ears flattened in embarrassment as he looked at the photo. Despite his efforts to clean up a bit, his brown fur was a much darker shade of brown from the mud. There were patches sticking up everywhere and the bottom of his muzzle and underside was the worst of it. How had he not felt that much mud on his face?! He must have looked so stupid as a human, it was a wonder that Saguru hadn't laughed at him "I didn't think it was that bad..." Kaito muttered.

"You look adorable" Like a puppy that'd rolled in mud sort of adorable.

"I need to wash up"

Shinichi smirked "That too"

"Do you want to join me? I feel lazy" He was still tired from today's work. It had been a lot of physical labour.

Azure softened, Kaito must be really tired "I don't think there's room for two people in the shower" He carefully worked the brush through another muddy patch, wiping off the excess dirt instead of spreading it "But I could hook up the hose to the sink" They had bought a fancy hose head that had different stream settings.

"Please do, now that I've finished, the exhaustion is catching up to me" His body wasn't used to digging for so long.

"Okay" Shinichi gave Kaito a few good scratches behind the ear "I'll go get the hose and dog shampoo for you" It warmed Shinichi's heart that Kaito was okay with letting him bathe him. The magician could be very proud, so him asking for and accepting help for something so simple was nice. He hurried into the house.

"I think I let him work himself too hard today" Saguru mused as the sleuth passed him with everything that was needed to bathe a dog in his hands.

Shinichi paused to respond "I doubt he would have let either of us stop him" He offered a small smile "Thanks for keeping an eye on Kaito today while I was out" Kaito didn't need to be babysat, but he'd prefer to have someone with the magician as said person worked on the pond. With Saguru helping him, Kaito was less likely to overwork himself too much.

Me: So Kaito is very tired, digging holes takes a lot more energy than one would expect~ He's also very pregnant as a wolf so... Lots of rest is needed

Comment? ^-^

>^< I can't wait until I can safely read a book on the bus instead of my phone in a ziplock bag

I can't sanitize a book so it'd be contaminated unlike my phone where I open the bag and let it fall out onto my bed