2. Mean Prank

1024 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written January 3 2020
Posted February 20 2020

Kaito's ears were lowered as he padded after the witch, he was a wolf after all. He couldn't walk about on his own, animal control might get called on him otherwise, thus he had to pretend to be a dog. A very big dog at that. It helped that his fur was a mixture of browns and that his patterning wasn't like that of a wolf. But still! walking around as a dog was humiliating.

He scowled as she led him through the Hakuba estate's gates, tail swishing in annoyance. At least Baaya hadn't been opposed to his presence, though she always had been good at accepting weird things. Though now she was much older and mostly retired, only staying at the mansion because she and Saguru were close.

"Saguru should be back from work shortly" Baaya explained as she led them into one of the many sitting rooms. Saguru had of course become a cop, while Kaito did magic for a living. She gave Kaito a curious look "He looks quite big, what is his name?"

A wry smirk crossed over the witch's face "His name is Kaito, but it's probably safer to just call him Kai when he's like this" Baaya was someone who could be trusted with Kaito's identity, she had known about Kid after all.

Baaya blinked "Oh dear" She looked at him in wonder, making his fur prickle uneasily"Is that really you Kaito?" She'd seen many weird things where the magician was involved, but nothing like this.

"Yes Baaya, it's me" He breathed, ducking his head in embarrassment. At least he wouldn't have to act around her during his time here.

Baaya's eyes gleamed mischievously "Saguru is going to be shocked" She gave him a small smile "Maybe you could mess with him a bit before telling him who you are" She loved Saguru like a son, but she also liked it whenever Kaito messed with him. It made things more lively.

Indigos gleamed "I already have an idea" He gave her a wolfish grin before explaining the details, ignoring how Akako just left. The witch could do whatever she wanted, as long as she didn't cause any problems for him.

A good while later, Saguru slipped through the front door, letting out a tired sigh. Working as a detective full time was quite taxing, thankfully he'd had a lighter workload than usual "I'm home" He called, raising a brow when Baaya didn't respond. That was odd, she usually made a point of greeting him, even though she didn't need to. He slipped out of his shoes, deciding to check the living areas first. It hadn't yet reached the time when she usually started on supper, maybe she had just gotten engrossed in a book. She wasn't young anymore, so he couldn't help but want to make sure nothing had happened to her.

The blond frowned when he finished looking in the last living area, where was Baaya? The soft noise of carpet being walked on caught his attention. He turned around with a smile, ready to greet her, except it wasn't Baaya. Gold widened in horror, a small curse escaping from his lips at the sight of a very large dog, or was it a wolf? Either way, it was crouched down low, eyeing him. Saguru swallowed, stepping back a few steps in fear, how did it get in here? Did wolves even live in this part of Japan? It had to be a dog or at least part dog.

He flinched when the wolfish dog took a slow step towards him, suddenly noting that there was something red and sticky surrounding it's brown muzzle. Had this thing injured Baaya? Killed her? Gold burned as he glanced around for options, he knew that he wouldn't be able to outrun it, so he had to look for a way to distract it long enough for him to get a door between them. He sorely regretted that he never took a gun home.

Another step from the wolf made him take one of his own. The poker of the fireplace suddenly caught his attention, it wouldn't be hot, but it could be used as a weapon. The wolf's indigo eyes gleamed, almost as if it understood his intent, but that was ridiculous. Gold and indigo stared down each other for a few moments before Saguru lunged for the poker seconds before the wolf lunged for him. Unfortunately, the wolf was faster, tackling Saguru to the ground with a snarl, pinning him by the shoulders with its forepaws.

Saguru yelped in both fear and surprise, the canine was heavy. He couldn't get away. Gold closed, he was going to die, just like how Baaya may have already been killed. He waited for the inevitable, heart speeding up when he felt it's warm breath against his neck. For some odd reason he could smell strawberries.

A moment later he felt the weight leave, a familiar snicker suddenly reaching his ears. Confused, the blond opened his eyes, the wolf was sitting down on its haunches, tail wagging as it swiped it's tongue around its muzzle, clearing away the red substance. The wolf didn't look threatening anymore.

"Kaito?" He glanced around, heart rate steadily calming as he searched for the hidden magician. Where in the bloody hell did Kaito get such a strange dog?! His brows furrowed in annoyance when Kaito didn't reveal himself "You're an asshole" He growled, feeling a bit betrayed when he realized that Baaya must have been in on the 'Let's scare the living daylights out of Saguru' plan. That would explain why Baaya hadn't greeted him.

Another snicker "But you still love me!" Gold narrowed, the other must have put a speaker on the wolfish dog. What a lame tactic.

"Enough of this nonsense" Saguru scoffed, getting to his feet before wiping off any dirt "A speaker on a dog is below your level" He scolded.

"Oh?" The wolf stood up from it's sitting position, padding over towards him. Kaito stood up on his hind legs, earning a startled squawk from the detective "I'm pretty sure that this isn't a joke" He rested his forepaws on Saguru's shoulders as he met his gaze.

Saguru's jaw dropped.

Me: Poor Saguru, I know that I'd be scared in his position... I can't take on a wolf XD

Baaya and Kaito teamwork~

Hope you enjoyed~

Drafts for book cover below... he gets more fluff with each version~

 he gets more fluff with each version~

And then I ended up with this and got sick of working on it •3•

And then I ended up with this and got sick of working on it •3• ...

Berry isn't the best at things with shapes but it's passable until I get something better

He's brown instead of white because Kaito has brown hair and Kid doesn't affect his genetics... and it prevents berry from being forced to draw a background... =~=