37. Camping With a Wolf

1013 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written October 25 2020
Posted November 19 2020

NEXT UPDATE is December 3 2020

"We'll be nearby when the time comes" Saguru assured "Though we'll be far enough to not register as threats" Akako had told him that Kaito wouldn't really be aware enough to recognize anyone, so keeping their distance would be the safest option.

The concept of feeling threatened by the people closest to him was an odd thought, one that didn't sit well with him "I guess that will work..." He lowered his head "So long as I'm not alone when I'm more aware" Though it wasn't like he'd have a choice, he'd already decided that he was keeping the children.

Gold softened "We'll do our best to prevent that from happening" The sound of a stomach rumbling made him smile "I brought some food" Saguru motioned towards his bag "Or do you want to catch something and have me prepare it?" He'd gone camping enough times in his life to know how to cook wild game.

Kaito hesitated, knowing that he should probably just eat the food the other had brought. After a few moments he replied "I really want to catch something..." He looked away, not wanting to meet Saguru's gaze.

Saguru nodded "Very well" Kaito's wolf instincts were strong "I will set up a pit a little ways over there" He pointed to the left of him "I refuse to cook close to where we're going to sleep" Gold gleamed "Neither of us would like to wake up to some wild animal skulking about" The food smell would attract animals right to them.

"'Kay" With that, Kaito took off, scenting the area around him. There were so many different smells, it was hard to choose. By the time Saguru had set everything up in a way that wouldn't burn the whole forest down, Kaito had returned. The wolf was carrying two rabbits by the ears in his jaws. He'd snapped their necks with his weight so that the only contaminated parts were the ears, which he was happy to eat himself once they were removed "There's this dull sense of horror niggling at the back of my mind" Kaito commented as he put his catch down, ears flat against his head "Before I became like this, the thought of killing animals would have horrified me" But now, it just felt normal "The fact that it's not bothering me, is what's bothering me" Something like that shouldn't have been changed so easily.

"It's because you're doing it for food, I highly doubt that you'd be able to do the same thing just for sport" Saguru replied, picking up a rabbit to inspect it "You're acting like a wolf because your form is currently that of a wolf"

Kaito shuffled his paws, scraping the ground "I guess..." He could always just turn back... But later, he wanted to be a wolf right now. He suddenly made a pleased sound in the back of his throat when Saguru tossed all four rabbit ears at him, snapping them up before they hit the ground.

Watching the wolf gnaw on the ears was a bit disturbing, Kaito was obviously savouring them. The bloody muzzle made it all the more harder to view the wolf as Kaito. It just, blood wasn't something that he ever associated with his friend, barring injuries of course. Saguru forced his attention away from his friend, instead setting it on skinning the rabbits.

A while later had a delicious smell wafting through the air, the blond had to stop himself from snickering. Kaito was drooling, and it was hilarious "It's almost done" Saguru teased as he pulled out some carrots that'd been stored in a Ziploc bag. He took out a few, holding them out for Kaito to eat.

"Thanks, I'm so hungry" Kaito happily snapped them up, tail wagging as he finished his share.

Gold gleamed "I could tell" He took a bite of one of his own carrots before checking on the meat, smiling as he noted that it was cooked enough to be deemed safe to eat "Thankfully our dinner is done" He removed the meat from the flames, sticking the skewers into a bucket so that they wouldn't touch the ground. He then took one in each hand, eating the one in his right hand while his left held out the stick for Kaito. It sort of reminded him of how he used to share with Watson.

"Oh it tastes even better cooked!" Kaito exclaimed as he flopped down on the ground, laying on his back, he was stuffed. His stomach was filled with lots of tasty hot food, so he was now feeling a bit sleepy. Saguru had eaten three skewers while Kaito had eaten the rest.

Saguru snorted "Of course it does" He picked up the bucket, offering it to Kaito "Can you go fetch some water as I dispose of any food stuffs?"

The wolf nodded, rolling over and standing up, grabbing the handle with his mouth before running off. He knew where a pond was. A little while later, the blond blinked in surprise when he saw Kaito coming back, hauling the bucket in his human form. He hadn't actually expected the other to shift again today, though the bucket's weight when full was probably too much for the other's mouth to comfortably handle.

"Here you go" Kaito carefully put out the fire before shifting back into a wolf and kicking dirt at the newly soggy area. He wanted to be extra sure that the fire was put out.

Saguru smirked "Thanks, I'll do the rest here, you can go dig up the den some more"

Kaito perked up at the mention of his den, he really needed to expand it some more didn't he? He took off without a word, too excited.

The blond just shook his head in exasperation, a smile tugging at his lips. With Kaito's enthusiasm, it'll probably end up being big enough for the two of them to rest comfortably in. Which was good since it was supposed to rain in the early morning, thankfully if he remembered correctly, Kaito had chosen a good spot that was both uphill and semi-under rocks so they should remain dry.

Me: So Kaito is being very wolfy~ And Saguru is being a kind, understanding friend~

Hope you enjoyed~

I just remembered recently that I once had a hermit crab when I was little. It was named Herman... Very original...

I don't remember much about it since it's not a very fun pet XD

Did any of you guys ever have a pet that you keep forgetting you once had?

•3• it was -10 yesterday and will be +10 degrees today... Temp fluctuations are annoying