2. t h e p r e p a r a t i o n s

As soon as I finished reading the post, the room bathed in deafening silence for just two moments, until our eyes met... and we squealed together,

"OH MY GOD!!!"

The euphoria was too much to let anything else register in my mind. Our beloved Prince, the heir to the throne was arriving. His identity would be disclosed to the public at long last, and he would rightfully take over the royal duties. This was honestly such an auspicious occasion. I was running short of words to expound the excitement and energy I felt running through my veins at the mention of this party. The customary ball had been arranged, and everything would be perfect again. The country's prince was back!

"Can you believe this girl? The handsome prince is coming back. I wonder how hot has he gotten?" Lisa gushed about him, while I rolled my eyes.

Of course, she would think about him that way! My cousin had absolutely no shame at times, and thought of the most absurd things about random men.

I turned to her and told her off, "He is our prince, for God's sake. Leave him out of your pointless fantasies, alright?"

"Why? So that only you can dream and pine for him?" She retaliated while wiggling her eyebrows mischievously, making me go scarlet.

I couldn't think straight for a moment, which was enough for her to catch onto my train of thoughts and then start her incessant chatter.

"Oh my God! Little Harpy is still not over her little crush on the mighty prince. How cute!!" She said, referring to the time when we were both five years old.

The prince – Josiah – was eight years old, and we all used to play together. At that time, the five year old me had been completely obsessed with the prince. Whenever he would hold my hand or help me in the slightest way, I would turn scarlet in the face and start stuttering. I would stealthily stick myself to him and followed him hopelessly wherever he went.

One could say that we were the best of friends since he played the most with me. His little sister, who was just three at the time, would join too, and we both would pretend to babysit her and take care of her. Although, I wouldn't do a lot, Josiah was perfectly capable of handling a kid even then, and took great care of his baby sister.

But, those things were in the past. We might have some jovial memories together, that didn't mean I would feel the same about him now. I hadn't seen him in approximately thirteen years, how could I be attracted to the past self of someone who was practically a stranger to me now? Lisa just was much more puerile than me, and never considered the circumstances before speaking.

"What? No! I'm not five, you know?" I defended myself, still baffled that she would dare to say such a thing.

"Whatever, you just blushed to the color of a tomato. It seemed as if all the blood in your body rushed to color your cheeks and here you are, trying to refute your feelings for him. Good try Harpy, but it won't work on me."

Arguing with this girl would only result in me having a headache that would be incurable for hours, and so I decided to change the topic.

"Whatever, but what's with you calling me Harpy? I think I have told you myriad of times to change this nickname. It always reminds me of the harpies at camp half-blood."

I had gotten used to it over the years, but sometimes, it still bothered me that she couldn't change that God awful nickname she had given me when we were kids. Her reason behind calling me Harpy was also something I couldn't quite comprehend. She always insisted on giving me a nickname, and then came up with half of my name and made it into harp - which is a beautiful musical instrument. But, she couldn't have stopped there, she just had to twist it even more and started calling me Harpy, which is an awful name to be given to any girl.

As soon as Lisa heard my accusation, she burst out laughing. "Why? Are you still salty about it?"

"Obviously! I can't believe you haven't grown up yet. Stop being so juvenile and give me a good nickname. Honestly speaking, Matt is so much better than you." I took a jab at her and like the overly dramatic girl she was, she pretended to clutch her heart and die.

"Oh... my heart! How could you be so callous to me, young lady? You know you are all I have, and yet you are so incredibly inconsiderate! I shall not live any longer to hear any more of this horrendous insult! I shall die this moment itself!"

I hit her lightly in the stomach and told her to quit being so histrionic.

"Yeah, yeah, now listen to me. Is Matt also coming to the ball? Did you talk to him?" I said, referring to the boy I mentioned before.

Matt, or Matthew, was another one of my best friends, and he was of the same age as Lisa and I. We three were incredibly close, as I'd like to call it, and did almost everything together. Matt was also similar to us in personality, and so we three matched each other very well. But how I was friends with Lisa since the get-go, it wasn't the same with Matt. We both met him in school when he transferred to our school in form 3, and since then, we had become the best of friends.

"Not yet. But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't miss an opportunity to dance and make merry instead of studying." She said jokingly which made me laugh.

The reason was that Matt just can't study. No matter how hard he tries, he even goes to great lengths to complete his school work and excel his exams, but fails every single time. He calls it his disability, but I personally think it's because he doesn't put much effort into it. Just like Lisa said, he will invariably jump to catch any offer of going to a party, get together, whether it's with his friends, or family. He doesn't like to be left alone at home and study like a responsible student, and then whinges about it when he gets lower grades than the most average children in our form.

"You are right. But, how can I go to the ball? It is said that it will be anonymous, but everyone will recognize me because of my red hair." I complained to Lisa, getting bummed by the prospect of not attending such an indispensable function.

She looked at me with sympathy in her eyes. "Its because of that prat, isn't it?"
She asked, referring to another annoying reason why I don't like living in this palace.

Wyatt Colton. Son of the principal secretary of the Sovereign. The only person that invokes feelings of repugnance and aversion in a cheerful person like me. Basically, he leaves no stone unturned to tell me how much he.... desires me and creeps me out by his every action and word. And even if he saw me with a mask on the night of the party, he will definitely know it's me because of my unforgettable red hair. I looked at Lisa and slowly nodded, my spirits falling into new depths with each passing second.

"Why do you look so down, you crazy girl? I'm here, aren't I? I will help you attend the party, and also be able to escape him." Lisa told me with conviction in her usually squeaky voice. I was mighty puzzled. How was that feasible? Never in a million years!

"What are you talking about? How can both of my desires get fulfilled in one night?"

"This is why we will go shopping today, Harpy. One week from now, on the night of the masquerade ball, I will become your fairy godmother and give you a complete metamorphosis. You, my Cinderella, will dance with the most handsome man in that room, the prince himself, while that ugly moron will be forced to keep his hands off you."

I furrowed my eyebrows listening to her, feeling like whatever drama she was imagining herself in, wasn't actually going to do me any good. But, on the other hand, she looked so optimistic and sure about it, and I was so extremely stubborn about attending the function, that I willed myself to listen to her categorical assurance.

But, I still threatened her, "Alright, I give you the permission to work your magic on me, but if you fail to give me what I want, I will never forgive you. So, you better be ready and deliver your goods."

She screamed and squealed like a little girl at that.

"Oh don't worry. The fun starts.... now!"

▪︎ ▪︎ ☆ ▪︎ ▪︎