43. t h e c o n f r o n t a t i o n pt2

(Josiah's pov

(Josiah's pov...)

I was met with deafening silence as I finished my monologue. Eugene's mouth opened and closed like a fish, but she was unable to come up with words. A fresh layer of red coated her cheeks, travelling all the way to her ears and throat, telling me that this was probably the first time she had to go through a scolding of such great extent. Serves her right, because she needs someone to put her in her place. Something her parents should have done a long time ago.

"Now, if you have nothing else to say or do, please show yourself out as I have a ton of things to do," I spoke in the same harsh tone I spoke earlier, motioning towards the door with my hand.

I could see the fire ignite in her eyes, begging her to say something, to retaliate in some way, but one stern look from me shut her down completely. She moved towards the door, but before she left, she said something to me that left me fuming,

"I might be powerless in front of you in the future, but right now, you too aren't the King. Even if you don't desire to marry me, you can't marry anyone else. I'm the first and last chance for you to quietly inherit what you need so badly. So you see, we're both living with zero options. Anyway, good luck with your love story with that redhead, I mean it."

And then she turned the door knob and left me alone to suffer in the ripples of utter quietude that enveloped my study. Usually, it didn't bother me much, but right now, it seemed like torture to my soul. How had she managed to get hold of my vulnerability and dared to turn it into an advantage for herself? How was she going to go with this? Would she spill the beans and ruin my chance of a happy life? Or was she even a tad bit smart?

Lost in those thoughts, I didn't realize how fast time flies when I heard a knock at the door. And the person who showed up shortly after was definitely not on the list of people I was amiable with. He was just a package, an unnecessary package that we had to feed because he came with a man of high significance and knowledge in the court.

"What is this visit for? Any urgent business?" I asked curtly, showing him that I didn't have any intention of spending time with him.

"Goodness, the way you treat me...I'm still a year older than you. Why can't you be a bit more polite, Your Highness?" He said with a cruel smirk on his face, taunting me with those royal addresses that had me shackled against my will.

"Wyatt, what is it? I'm really not in the mood for pleasant conversations," I tried once again, hoping that he would, for once, stop coming at me like he would kill me this instant.

Even if he did, or at least thought of doing it, I wouldn't be surprised. Because my position is the only thing this man has been going for. More than him, his snake of a father, Samuel. I still hadn't found out the reason why grandfather couldn't u understand their ulterior motives. It's not like it wasn't clear, or maybe it's not for him.

"Well, I only came by because I saw Miss Eugene Lennox outside your study. But it was a rather short visit, I was so disappointed. You should have stayed for longer, right?" He asked me with his obnoxious smirk, making me grit my teeth in annoyance.

He was still the same – lingering around my study, spying on me like I was a little kid, and never missing a single beat to grill me about it as if I was his bloody son.

"You shouldn't be speaking about it, or asking me questions pertinent to it, because it's a matter that doesn't concern you. If you don't have any other thing to talk about, just leave."

"Oh but I do! I think I know exactly why you didn't treat your future wife well," He remarked, a wicked smile forming on his face as his evil eyes twinkled from unbridled mirth. He was really enjoying this.

But what could make him make such a bold statement? What was he implying?

"What do you know?" I asked him, my voice taut from tension.

"Oh, I think it will be better if you saw it instead of listening to me. That way, it will be more enjoyable, right?" He drawled out in a despicable manner, and I wanted to punch him then and there. But since I wanted to know what was going on, I stayed silent and gave him a discreet nod.

His smile widened even more as he quickly fished out his phone from his back pocket and opened something on it. He came over to my table and placed the phone in front of me.

And then he pressed play, to a video of me and Harmony together in the rain, kissing each other in abandonment.