42. t h e c o n f r o n t a t i o n

"Long time, no see redhead

"Long time, no see redhead. I see you've climbed your way to the main palace, now."

I lifted my head and instantly came face to face with the most fierce look I hadn't seen in a while. Those hazel eyes held so much hatred, and were staring at me with the intention of burning me down. And I think it was working to an extent, for I started feeling hot with embarrassment.

Shocked, I could only stutter like a pathetic child, even though I was just a year younger than her, "Eu-Eugene?"

"How dare you call me by my name? I'm your future queen, so you might as well start to address me as Your Highness," She tilted her nose in the air and uttered those words, a haughty air surrounding her perfect aura.

She looked like she invariably did – perfect. She was the perfect blend of beauty and femininity with power and elegance, and I could now understand why she was arranged to marry the prince. It wasn't just because of her position, but also because she suited him very well in every way. They were a match made in heaven, and here I was, just a normal girl with too many family an personal problems to even care about what dress she was going to wear.

But I didn't want to doubt myself, at least not when Josiah was right in front of me, his black orbs dripping with worry for me. I was the one he chose, despite knowing the tempest it would bring forth, so who was I to tell him to love someone else? He was my only solace and reason to smile nowadays, and I wasn't going to give up just because someone wants to show me just how inferior I am.

Having resolved further on my irrevocable decision, I countered sweetly, "I will, when you become the queen. Right now, it's just in the future, so I'm sorry but I can't commit that crime. Well then, have a good day."

I bowed once again to Josiah and descended the same flight of stairs Eugene came from, not before noticing her jaw drop to the ground and her eyes turn more icy than ever. She shouted after me to stop, to turn around, to do something that acknowledges her presence and power over me, but I never looked back once. With a content smile on my face, I reached home.

This was the first time I had felt so confident when someone had insulted me, the first time I had stood up for myself when someone had wanted to push me down. Maybe it was the effect of being in Josiah's company for so long. Maybe it was because he was right next to me and I didn't want him to be disappointed in me. The grin that decorated my face could not be wiped by anyone, and in that moment, as I recalled Josiah's slight smirk, I was sure that I had made the apt decision.

I could fight anyone now, if the victory would bring me closer to Josiah.

▪︎ ▪︎ ☆ ▪︎ ▪︎

(Josiah's pov...)

It was such a novel sight – to see Harmony be so elegantly dismissive. What she said to Eugene was huge, considering her docile personality, and it made me feel all sorts of things. From the corner of my eye, I could see Eugene seething with anger. So to distract her, I gestured for her to follow me in the opposite direction. There was no way I would let her create this mess in the hallways.

Once we were in my study, I sat down in my chair, motioning for her to sit across from me. But being the bratty girl she was, she didn't listen to me.

"Why did you let her get away with what she told me? Didn't you hear her treating me like shit?" She started off, trying to gain superiority over me.

"And I also saw you trying to instigate her first. Don't get mad when you receive the exact same treatment you give out to others. Anyways, what brings you here today? We weren't scheduled to meet until next week." I cut to the chase, and her red cheeks told me she was mightily angry.

"You have changed so much. How dare you side with that useless scum of the earth and defy your future wife?! Do you have no sense of self-respect?" She tried again, and now it was getting on my nerves.

Defy her? Future wife? Little did she know the she was soon going to be stripped of that title. First, coming here unannounced and making me lose my chance of redeeming things with Harmony, now this kind of attitude. She was asking for my absolute rage today.

"Miss future wife, you better listen to me before I lose it completely with you, and trust me, that will be mighty embarrassing for you. Whether we get married or not, I'm the one with more power. You will become the queen because of me, so stop acting like you're giving your empire to me. And that means only one thing – you have no power to tell me what to do. Don't even think of sinking your petty claws in me or anyone close to me, because I will definitely not stand you going around showing off your power over everyone else, because it doesn't belong to you. All of what you're proud of, all of it belongs to me."