16. t h e f a l l

"You got me a snow globe? With the piano playing my song?"

I asked him slowly, trying to process everything that just happened in the past ten minutes. This man right here – who is the prince and heir to the throne of Britain, dances with me like I'm the only woman in the room, comes to listen to my song the next morning by coincidence, and then offers a hand of friendship only to disappear for a whole week leaving me hanging around on that promise. Now, he's back with a gift that must have cost him a fortune – not that he can't afford it – but he chose to spend that much dosh on me, to get me the best present of my life.

And we weren't even friends yet.

'Yeah. He's crazy, and you're definitely dreaming.'

I zoned out for a moment, and only came back to my senses when I saw a hand moving to and fro in front of my eyes. I broke out of my daze, and looked up at him.

"Yes. Why is that so hard to process? Did I do something wrong?"

He asked me with genuine confusion etched on his handsome face. How could someone even look so good when they weren't being conscious of their looks? Him, I guess.

"What you did wrong? You just gave an astronomical present to a mere stranger and that's not... wrong for you? How can I accept such a priceless thing?"

He smiled at me when I said this, finally comprehending the meaning behind my words. Altough this smile of his was wider than his usual tight-lipped ones, he smiled in a way which made me feel like he was laughing at me.

"You're not a stranger. We are friends, remember? I think it's completely alright to give you a gift that you deserve."

"Friends who ghost their friends for a week?"

That shut him up. I knew he could now see the subtle pain in my eyes, that I had been trying to conceal ever since he came to see me this evening. I also knew that I had no right to hold onto him like that, and whine and throw tantrums, but it was his fault entirely. He can't just barge into someone's life like that and then expect them to not have expectations.

There was an awkward silence between us, that was not welcomed by me at all. He looked pensive, and I was almost going to regret the flow of my words when he broke the ice.

"I'm deeply sorry. I hadn't thought of that when I disappeared. It was an urgent meeting in Scotland, which needed my attention. I do know that all of this happened at the wrong time, and I, from the bottom of my heart, want to make amends between us. If only you want that too."

I was stupefied once more in mere fifteen minutes. Can someone be as perfect as him? Such a detailed yet respectable apology from a prince? This would definitely make Lisa go nuts if I told her.

For a while, I just couldn't bring myself to say anything. I guess that was how I generally behaved in the vicinity of the prince. His intense grey gaze, boring into my bright green ones, telling me the complete and utter truth – had truly rendered my speechless.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew he must have already concluded that I'm a moron for not being able to hold a proper conversation, but he doesn't know that he is the cause of it all.

The apple of discord between my mind and heart.

My weakness.

"I-its alright. I was just at a loss since I wasn't aware of what transpired. I'm sorry too."

"Don't be sorry for what's not your fault. Ever. That way, you will only make people push you around harder thinking you will take all the hits voluntarily.
Now, I believe we still have time until dinner, which starts at eight. I will leave at five to eight, so should we do one practice before we go?"

He was so cool. He didn't even know that he had involuntarily given me a courage I had been searching for all this time. Hearing his words filled my hollow insides with a warmth nobody could fill. The courage to fight back was what I needed. And who wouldn't get dauntless, knowing that the prince is behind them, ready to provide any kind of support?

"Alright. I suppose we could stay here for a bit longer."

Eager to spend more time with Josiah, I instantly agreed to learn more from him. Our shared passion for music was a really strange way to meet and bond with each other. But in that moment, when we both took turns to impress the other with our skills, I could see exactly why we were there together.

Although I didn't know his reason for turning to music despite being a politician, I could sense his pain from his fingers. I guess this was what made us similar, inspite of hailing from two completely distinct families and class.

Music was the healer of all wounds.

Music could make hearts beat, and kill someone at the same time.

Music was the remedy for all hearts.

And music will be what will inspire me to take the fall, not worrying about the consequences and repercussions of my actions.

That is, if I haven't already taken the fall.