49. t h e u l t i m a t u m

(Josiah's pov

(Josiah's pov...)

Using the word panic would be an understatement in the situation I was faced with currently. That rotten cad had actually fooled me so well, I couldn't believe it. But I definitely could believe that he was perfectly capable of something as ghastly as this, for he has been after my throne since the very start.

It had only been a few hours since the video leaked online, and already, the world was in chaos. Everyone knew who Harmony was, and they were hitting her mercilessly with their stupid opinions. Her name was out in the world for everyone passing by to shame her and educate her. I've been getting dozens of calls from my friends, and Eugene. Of course, she must be going batshit crazy seeing her reputation drown like that. Our marriage had been announced just two days earlier, and while that uproar hadn't settled down, this video came up.

But I was only concerned about the call with her. When I picked up the phone and heard her soft sniffles and broken voice, it pierced my heart like an inescapable dagger, and I felt like beating myself to death. She did not deserve me. She did not deserve to be with a man who was much too cowardly to accept in front of the whole world, and especially his grandfather, that he loved her. If only I had gone and talked to grandfather, none of this would have happened.

I was completely at a loss as to how I should deal with this, and how I should go to him for a talk, when a knock sounded at the door. Stopping my nervous pacing around, I quickly went back to my seat and tried to remain calm as I told them to enter. I wasn't sure if grandfather would have so much dignity even when he is angry, but when I saw who entered, it made more sense. If anyone who should be wary of me, it would definitely be this man. Wyatt Williams.

He came in with a huge smirk on his face, as if he had achieved something big. Of course, his gormless father must have been extremely proud of him for playing dirty politics. But his smile faltered when he saw me smile. He mustn't have seen it coming, but that's who I was – unpredictable.

"Pray tell me Mr. Wyatt, to what do I owe this tremendous pleasure of seeing you after just... seven days?"

"I thought you wouldn't want to see me at all. Aren't you disappointed that you didn't get a chance to make it right like you promised?" He asked me cockily, to which I answered just as good naturedly.

"Well, I am disappointed since I do feel let down right now, but then I think that it came from you, so I shouldn't actually be so surprised. It's kind of a package, you know? Wherever Wyatt or his father goes, treachery and trouble follows!"

He gritted his teeth at that, "Beware of your words. I could ruin you more than you think."

"Why? Got any more proofs to tarnish my image? But you're really so naive, thinking I will leave her in your hands just because you played this dirty trick on me. You," I pointed a very taut finger in his direction, my visage full of uncontrolled fury. "You will never get to have your hands on her, whether I marry her or not. So, stop dreaming little boy, and go do something good for once. Leave her alone, for her sake. For her sanity."

"Aww, you make me feel like such a bad guy when you talk like that. But, aren't you the same? Did you think of her reputation when you forced her to get tangled in this mess? Did you think of her sanity when you chose not to tell her half of the things that were conspiring behind her back? Did you think how she would react when she would know that you could have stopped this mess from getting ugly, but you didn't, because you love your reputation more. And also because you're a coward. A bloody coward." He spat, making me angrier by the second.

"Wyatt!! You better sod off before I do something I'll regret!"

The problem with him wasn't that he was saying all of this, but that it was all true. It was so painfully true that I had to be alone for a few moments to make sure I was even thinking of Harmony in the first place. What I had done in the past seven days was proof enough that I wanted the best for her, but that might not be the case. I might have accidentally pushed her onto the path of public humiliation because of my worthless and groundless ego, and she would have to bear most of the burden I created.

"I will go, but I only came here to tell you that you're too, no good for her. Leave her alone and clarify to the waiting press that this is all fake. Go back to your previous life, and make it easier for your grandfather to live his last days in peace. This way will be the best way to end it all, and if you still want to be pig headed and choose the second option of going all the way, you should know now that I too, won't hesitate to go all the way to have her. Because I have loved her, and will love her more than you do.

"And this isn't even a warning, it's a bloody ultimatum. You're dead Prince Josiah. Accept your defeat."