14. t h e u n u s u a l b o n d

I was just about to save my life and heart, and leave that place when he stopped me in my tracks with uttering just a few words

I was just about to save my life and heart, and leave that place when he stopped me in my tracks with uttering just a few words. Those words had enough potential to force any person in this country to do as the prince told them. No one would want to be under the radar of His Majesty for disrespect of the royal family, especially people who are born to serve them. He really knows how to manipulate people – and just like that, the last obstinate shred that wanted to hold onto the warmth his grey eyes produced last night, was released into the free air around us.

Not only was this man not made to harbor emotions for, he wasn't even made to be thought nicely of.

He was just like them – selfish, callous and arrogant as hell.

I turned around to face him, but made no movement to walk further. I too, would show him that he can't invariably pull the strings. At my stubbornness, he raised the corners of his mouth ever so slightly, and returned to face the piano. My heart threatened to flutter at the sight before me, but I willed myself to stay completely robust. This wasn't the time nor the person to play silly games with.

"You have composed a tune which is extremely mellifluous, and to be honest, I was impressed. But there was a single note – the F5, that you missed, and adding that to your song will complete it perfectly. Here, let me show you."

He complimented and commented on my work, and I was flummoxed. Wasn't he here to censure my work, and tell me he was better at this than I was? But he– he lauded me! That's a plot twist right there. I was so lost in my thoughts and state of surprise that I completely forgot to answer him. He was about to show me his version when he turned back to look at me and said,

"Do you only speak when you're angry? I would at least say a generous thank you if I was a normal person, and a prince praised me for something."

The nerve of this man! So haughty!

"I'm sorry. And thank you so much for your kind words."

I spoke without much emotion in my voice.

"How old are you Miss Harmony?"

He asked me again, to which I gave my answer promptly.

"Eighteen."

"So you're an adult now, and I expect you to act like one now, so please come here and take a seat in front of me or beside me. I will show you how to polish your skills further."

I huffed under my breath, but followed nonetheless, now feeling a bit embarrassed by my puerile behaviour. This wasn't like me, but I don't know why I couldn't think properly when I was in the same room as him. I still couldn't comprehend why he wanted to spend time with me, so after a deliberation of few seconds, I decided to ask him myself.

"Why? Why do you want to spend your precious time teaching me more skills? I'm sure you have much more imperative tasks to be done."

"Its not because I have a lot of free time, its because I have a personal passion for music, just like you do, and I want to spend time with music..."

'So it's not me who's special, it's the music. Of course.'

"And teaching you seems to be the best option so far. This place too, is perfectly concealed from everyone, so it's optimal."

He finished explaining all his calculations, which honestly didn't shock me too much, but they did puzzle me for a while. I still couldn't comprehend why would anyone want to risk their life and not give him the time he needs. And why couldn't he do all of this in a bigger place rather than coming to a mere servant's cottage. I did have tons of queries but decided to put a rest to all of them for the time being. It would be of no use to get so nosy in his affairs. He would just push me away.

'But isn't that what you wanted?'

I– I don't know anymore. I too have the knowledge that we can never be anything more than mere acquaintances, but we could still be more than that. We could still be friends in the least.

What harm could be done? None, in my opinion. So I sat beside him happily as I foolishly convinced myself I wouldn't get attracted to him anymore, as I heard him play my tune in his way.

It was distinct from my style, his fingers hit on the key more forcefully than mine, and they seemed to know their place very well. They glided across the keys blindly as different notes emanated from them like waves of magic from an earthen pot stirring on the fire. His fingers were more practiced, and he almost looked like he had won numerous awards in playing the instrument. Learning from a man like him would do wonders to my passion for music and this instrument, and I couldn't wait for those days to come when we would do this as a habit.

                       ▪︎ ▪︎ ☆ ▪︎ ▪︎

It had now been one whole week since our last meeting. He didn't return after that day, and my state wasn't good at all. I do get it that he could have a lot to do, but promising me something like that, and then just vanishing into thin air wasn't the right thing to do.

I was confused, hurt, and mighty upset. There was no new talk of him in the past week, which also left the citizens bemused. Nobody knew what was going on, and that was what was bugging me all day and night. Where was he? How was he? I had no idea.

I had promised myself to not think about him anymore, since he wasn't going to keep his promise. All of them were the same, all of them. They wouldn't actually spend their precious time with a girl like me, now would they? Then how could I be so foolish to have thought of him in a different light?

'He wasn't going to come back, and even if he does, it wouldn't matter because he and I don't match.'

I cursed at my bad luck and my foolish brain for imagining impossible things as I walked in the back garden one evening. The air was getting colder since it was now 7 pm, and my little spaghetti dress wasn't helping me. I wrapped my arms around myself to somehow lessen the cold when I felt a distinct unmistakable warmth around me. I looked to my side to see that there was a warm cardigan on my shoulders. The expensive red woolen cardigan seemed to suit my dress a lot, but where did it come from?

Fearing the worst, I froze in my spot before quickly turning around to see the culprit behind me. I was so afraid in that moment, because I thought that maybe Wyatt had seen me strolling around here, but when I turned around, I found someone whom I hadn't been expecting at all.

"Josiah?"

"Good evening Miss Rose. How are you doing this fine morning?"

 How are you doing this fine morning?"