15. t h e s u r p r i s e

"Good evening Miss Rose

"Good evening Miss Rose. How are you doing this fine morning?

I really couldn't believe my eyes. After one whole week of ghosting me, he came back, and that too so casually – as if nothing ever happened. If only everyone could become like him.

"You- you, why are you here?"

He had the audacity to act confused and lost after listening to my words. As if he wasn't acutely aware of his gaping absence from the palace.

"What do you mean? I've always been here."

"Oh, so you telling me that you would come visit me everyday was a whopper, I see. Thanks for letting me know the truth in such a obvious manner."

I said to him, now frustrated and angry with myself rather than with anyone else. Even so, I couldn't help but take a good look at him. He invariably wore vintage style clothes, making me wonder what kind of a person he was. He had on a pair of brown pants along with a crisp white shirt, and a thin cream colored sweater vest. His brown cardigan still rested comfortably on my shoulders, giving me all the warmth I needed, along with his signature strong earthy scent.

I was afraid that the longer I kept his clothes on my body, the harder it will be to ignore his excuses. And it will definitely be a gargantuan task to forgive him.

I saw him smile that little almost nonexistent smile of his again. What was he aiming for tonight? This was not how he should have approached me. Actually, he shouldn't have approached me at all.

"Why are you always so miffed with me? I've never seen you in a great mood upon seeing me. I wonder why."

"Why? Does that make you sad?"

I asked him sassily.

"Yeah, a bit. But I think after  the gift I give you today, you will change your mind forever. Should we head inside?"

He motioned with his hand for me to come inside the cottage in front of us. I hadn't realized we had conversed while walking, and now we were already in front of Grandma Isla's home. He also mentioned some gift. Did he bring one for me?

My heartbeat started increasing gradually, and suddenly I couldn't wait to find what it was that he had brought for me. We weren't even that close yet, what could he have brought me as a gift? My burning curiosity was shown on my visage in seconds even when I didn't allow it to be seen. He raised his eyebrow yet again and smirked, enjoying the easy display of my emotions. Ashamed at being so shameless, I ducked my head and hastily opened the door of the cottage with the keys Grandma left with me.

"Where is Grandma?"

He asked me.

"She went out for a while to meet her friends. She will be back in an hour or so."

We entered and walked instinctively towards the piano.

"So, what is the gift that you keep talking about?"

"You're really not the scared type, are you? I guess I was the one who misinterpreted you Mise Rose. You are extremely straightforward and... dauntless."

He remarked again, making me go scarlet yet again. Sometimes I abhorred myself greatly for being so weak and feeling everything so intensely. My highly sensitive personality lead others to read me like an open book, and it was just embarrassing at times. Like right now.

"I'm sorry. It's just that.... I'm pretty sensitive and I sometimes find it hard to control my emotions – whether they are of happiness, sadness, ire or excitement. I'm just.... built like that, I guess."

He nodded his head in understanding.

"I'm aware. I can see it now and it all makes sense. But it's extremely refreshing for me. I also promise I won't judge you whenever you have these bursts of emotions."

Why? Why does he have to talk like that when I'm trying so hard to keep him away?

Does he not comprehend what it means when you tell someone all these things?

I don't think I will be able to keep my ground against him for any longer. He has already embarrassingly succeeded in melting away all my choler, I don't know what he will do next. And to be honest, I'm afraid. He slowly retrieved a small box wrapped up in red paper and held it towards me.

I took the box from him after a few seconds of hesitation, not knowing what to do with it. I mean, it's not everyday that you get a present from the prince of England. With slightly trembling hands, I carefully tore the wrapping paper, revealing a blue box inside. It was of a medium size, which wasn't helping me in guessing its contents.

"You will have to open the box to know what's inside."

Josiah remarked from beside me, after probably seeing my concentrated gaze on the box, hoping it will open like a piece of cake after I chanted the correct spell from Harry Potter.

I pouted a little at my obvious failure, but then went on to open the box.... only to find the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in this world.

It was a custom made small sized piano in white and gold colours. What made it even more precious was that it was a miniature version of the piano I had. It was inside a see-through crystal ball with snow all over it as it played the tune we worked on the other day.

If I thought I had a chance to survive at all, I knew in that moment, that I was ruined for life.

There was no remedy for this disease. And I wasn't eager for it either.

 And I wasn't eager for it either