41. t h e a d v i c e

"You could? Oh, that would be wonderful Harmony! But promise me that this will be a secret from everyone, even my brother

"You could? Oh, that would be wonderful Harmony! But promise me that this will be a secret from everyone, even my brother. His name is.... Andrew Lennox."

I stopped in my tracks as I heard that name. A very familiar name. What?!! This was so unexpected I didn't even know how to react. So, I just kept gawking at her until she got nervous from my staring and spoke ever so quietly,

"Why? Do you also think I've done something bad?"

I couldn't pinpoint where she was getting her words from – or rather – whom, but I could pinpoint her woebegone expression and melancholic tone of voice, and I knew instantly that this was a serious matter.

"No Claire, falling in love with someone is never a bad thing. It's not a sin. So, don't be so crestfallen about it. Just tell me what the problem is." I tried to comfort her, although I knew I wasn't doing a good job.

Listening to me, she sighed heavily and said, "That's the problem. Andrew – he's the problem. He thinks we shouldn't like each other that way just because he's brother's best friend. But the funny thing is that I've seen him wanting me like I want him. I don't know why he likes to torture himself and me in this way."

"Oh no, that really is a problem. Have you tried talking to him? Is he too stubborn about this?" I asked her, pitying the girl. She was enduring so much pain even before she got to experience the best thing about a relationship. 'As if you have a really easy road ahead of you.' Maybe I didn't, but in that moment, I wanted to forget all about that and focus on her problem. I wanted a good distraction from my emotions that were all over the place lately.

"Its no use. Yesterday night, we had a long conversation over the phone, and I tried my best to convince him to give in. We raised our voices, fought like cats and dogs, but to no avail. Then, he came up with our age difference, which is just of five years, and called me a child. I got extremely angry afterwards and hung up. Now, he's been trying to get hold of me all morning. As if I'm going to listen to anything he has to say after insulting my love like that. Who does he think he is?" She concluded angrily, and I gulped.

I really didn't want to be on her bad side, ever. I didn't even want her to know I was dating her brother behind her back. It made me feel extremely remorseful to hide this information from her, but I was more concerned about my blooming friendship with Claire at the moment. Something, I shouldn't have done at any cost.

▪︎ ▪︎ ☆ ▪︎ ▪︎

As the schedule was set, I went to teach Claire the next day at the same time. But today, contrary to yesterday, I wasn't in a good mood. And it had nothing to do with Claire, but everything to do with her brother. He hadn't come to meet me in the morning and just sent a succinct message that he's busy, leaving me to wallow in thousands of unreasonable thoughts, doubts and insecurities.

I knew I wasn't in the position to hold him back from performing his duties, but as far as I knew, there weren't any official visits from anyone, nor was he out of the country. So, there shouldn't be something so important at six in the morning. At the same time, I couldn't voice my concerns and become a girlfriend who sticks to her man every single minute of the day. So, I did keep my distance like a mature person, but it was eating me alive inside.

The whole time, I kept getting distracted, and Claire too could notice something was off about me. She asked me but I just brushed it off and concentrated a little more so as to not raise any more suspicions.

Finally, after an excruciating hour, the lesson came to an end and I stood up instantly, ready to leave. I wanted to get out of this side of the palace in case I run into him. Today, I wasn't in the mood to greet him or even see his face. It was extremely puerile of me, extremely unlikely of me, but I was adamant on holding my grudge over him.

But when has fate ever been so very generous with me? As soon as I exited the music room, I ran into Josiah, who was apparently waiting for me to finish outside the room. He looked like he had a lot to say, but I knew that he wouldn't be able to do much where anyone can catch us. And I intended to take full advantage of it.

"Harmony I–" He started off but I quickly cut him off, scared that his sister will hear him.

"Good afternoon, Your Highness." I bowed slightly and turned towards the exit, but he stopped me with his hand wrapped around my wrist.

My eyes widened as I saw him doing this. 'Just what was he thinking, being so bold in a public place?' I looked up at him in panic, and at that very moment, Claire exited the room. She looked at us in confusion, and before she could see anything further, I quickly pulled my hand out of his grasp behind his back so that it was out of her sight.

'That was such a close call.'

"Why are you harassing her brother? Is he the reason you were so distracted and tensed today? I think he must have said something to scare you–" Claire started off, unintentionally letting out that I was upset and I just wanted to bury myself in a hole.

"Claire, it's nothing like that. We have something else to discuss. You can go first,"
I intercepted and tried to save face somehow, but I knew that he wasn't going to be fooled.

'So much for acting mature.' I rolled my eyes internally, mad at Claire for unwittingly exposing me.

As soon as she descended the stairs and was out of sight, Josiah turned to me, "Is it true? Were you really upset about this morning?"

"Can we go to a more private place? Somewhere I won't have to look behind my back every minute?" I asked, already exhausted. Maybe it's better to face it head on. Maybe then, he would comprehend what I want.

But before we could move even an inch, I heard a voice I wished to never hear.

"Long time, no see redhead. I see you've climbed your way to the main palace, now."

'Not only hear, I will also have to face them. Yay!'