40. t h e l e s s o n s

"Good after– what are you doing here brother? Weren't you working on something like ten minutes ago?" In walked Princess Claire, and inquired with an inquisitive, almost dubious look on her face.

I looked in every direction but her, heart racing due to the panic slowly rising in my chest. She had it all figured, right? What if... she was standing outside, listening to our conversation? What if... she disapproves of me and spills the secret out? Oh no... this really isn't good. He shouldn't have come here at a time like this and put us all in a difficult situation? Why did he do that?

While I was keeping up with a racer of my mind, possibly increasing her suspicion even more, Josiah had managed to utter a convincing answer.

"I was only giving her a warning of what it's like to teach you. I told her that you can be mighty pig headed at times, and that it won't be a piece of cake to deal with you." He teased her and she gasped, instantly turning red.

"How... how could you do this to me? My own brother? It was I adopted," She exclaimed.

She was more dramatic than she looked, and that thought made me chuckle loudly. Realizing what I had just done, I quickly shut my mouth and muttered a small sorry, to which she just smiled and said,

"Your smile is so pretty. You're such a goddess, and talented too!"

Looking at her gushing over me was not something I could ever get used to. I thought I was just going to be another teacher who blends in the background while the royals sprinkle their golden glow everywhere they go; but seeing her humility made my heart swell with pride. I too, was an important and talented person. I too, was beautiful.

"Really? Thank you!" I smiled at her, feeling my spirits rise up again after hearing her words. Maybe she won't be too mad once she learns about us.

"So, should we start? Brother, could you please leave now? I have someone else I want to bully," she said sarcastically and Josiah rolled his eyes in response.

"Stop being sardonic in front of me, it isn't going to work. And please be good to her, she's different from your previous teachers...."

As he was giving directions to his sister, my heart once again starting doing somersaults inside. He was so caring, and invariably thought of me first. Even though his concern was masked with something else, I could sense and hear the real intentions behind his words. This fluttery feeling of having someone who cares deeply for you was a first for me, and as rapidly as I had fallen down the rabbit hole when I first him, I realized this wasn't the end of it. There were still, many more levels left to reach and pass.

Once he finally left, I was able to breathe. Following Claire, as she told me to address her, I sat on the stool in front of the piano I was drooling over just few minutes ago. Starting my first lesson, I went over the basics once, and the moment I laid my hands on the piano to press a key, my speculations were proved right. This was a high quality piece with honey on its keys.

Claire was an exceptionally bright student. Not that I had any other previous students to compare her with, but she too, had an innate talent like her brother, which worked greatly in my favour as I didn't have to work too hard. Even though she was normally a focused student, her phone kept ringing throughout the duration of the lesson.

I didn't think much of it in the first or second time, but it had already rang five times now. If it was that urgent, why hadn't she just picked it up and stop giving the other person a hard time? But I willed myself to not try to be nosey and to not judge her because of this one small thing. She could have her reasons. And so, thinking that, I carried on with the lesson as if nothing had ever occurred.

As the hour was coming to an end, I could notice her mood going further down. I thought she was eager to learn the piano? Then what was it that depressed her so much? Even though I had ignored it earlier, I could no longer do so. I was also reminded of His Majesty's words, and how he wanted me to take full care of her. I too, had grown to be fond of her, and couldn't bear to see her in so much agony.

"Claire, what is the matter with you today? Why is your usually bright personality so dim today? Is everything alright?" I asked her, my concern for her clear in my voice as well as my features.

"How could you know?" She asked me, seemingly surprised that I could read her so well.

But that's who she was. Easily readable and predictable. Just like me. Maybe that's why we were both so fond of each other. I gave her a comforting smile and said,

"I know Claire, I know. So, will you tell me?"

"I think I should before I explode from all this frustration. It's just that I like this fine young lad, a lot, but he doesn't like me and tries to ignore me or get away everytime I start a conversation with him. But then, he's also extremely protective about me and is always chastising me for being so childish. I just... ugh... I don't know anymore."

I raised an eyebrow as I heard this story. She really was having the time of her life but was so unaware of it. And of course, this man was head over heels for her, it showed in her description of him. But I was curious to know his name too. So I asked her,

"Can you tell me his name too? Maybe if he's someone I know, I could somehow help you."

"You could? Oh, that would be wonderful Harmony! But promise me that this will be a secret from everyone, even my brother. His name is.... Andrew Lennox."