5. t h e d - d a y

It was now Saturday, March 12 – the day of the coming-of-age ball

It was now Saturday, March 12 – the day of the coming-of-age ball. The last shards of ice had been disinclined to melt away, but as it's the course of nature, they were forced to disappear and make way for the paradisiac golden glow of spring. Although, there wasn't a gigantic discernment in the temperatures, the sun stayed in the sky, clear of all clouds for much longer now. The flowers also had started to crawl out of their cocoons and bloom beautifully, marking this day to be the most apposite for such a joyful celebration.

After one whole week of harrassment, I was fortunately alive and allowed to go to the ball. All week long, I was denied any rest as people from the whole school – and even some others who didn't attend that school – flocked over to me and asked endless questions, just like they do every time a royal announcement happens. My friends, the ones I consider to be my ride or die, also betrayed me brutally and told every child that since they weren't directly living in the palace, they had nothing to tell except for me. And that's how, my week at school was made abysmal, making it impossible for me to show my face anywhere.

But now here we were, in my room, with tons of makeup supplies and dresses strewn all around. Lisa was helping me with my makeup, and the brilliant idea she had gotten which could disguise me completely.... which was a brown wig.

I was actually extremely reluctant to wear something like that, but I was convinced against my will that it was the best and only option we had, unless I was ready to dye my hair. So, we bought a medium length, chocolate brown wig to hide my red hair, and even though it was going to be difficult to carry, it was the sole reason I would be able to attend the party.

"Harpy, stop squirming around! You're ruining the placement of the wig."

Lisa ordered me around for what seemed like the hundredth time this day. I was completely deprived of my sleep this morning as this monster woke me up at freaking seven am – as if we would need to use up twelve hours to spruce ourselves up. But, all my pleas fell on dead ears and I was pushed around all day – to the bathroom, then spa, then a salon, and now back in my room – with only yogurt and toast in between.

Now just because I like being fashionable doesn't mean it should come along with the disastrous diet which leaves you looking famished and pallid. I have invariably loved my food and nobody should come in the way, not even fashion.

"Its involuntary. My form is shaking because of the severe lack of food it has received today." I shot back sardonically.

"Don't be silly Harpy, its all for your good." She chastised me in a motherly tone, which ticked me off even more.

"Don't become my second mother."

"Whatever. Now sit still before I tie you up."

I grumbled under my breath but complied nevertheless, knowing that she was right this time and it was just my puerile self that didn't want her to have the last word.

Her fingers worked with swift strokes, as she quickly tucked my wild, untamed curls into a cap, then proceeded to stick the wig on top of it. As soon as she was finished, I didn't even have to look up in the mirror to know it was done, because I could already feel it weighing me down. I had only heard before that wigs were exhausting, but now I could feel what it was like. But when I took a look in the mirror, I was pleasantly surprised and utterly pleased with her work. My hair was perfectly hidden, no trace of red anywhere while she now worked to pull the fake hair into a high classy bun fit for a ball.

"I'm glad I listened to you and didn't insist too much on accompanying my mother to the hair dresser. You have done a better job than Lily."

I lauded her sincerely for her hard work, referring to Lily, my mother's hair dresser who always did her hair. She wasn't too bad, but I didn't want to go to her for tonight as I was aware how she would keep bugging me about concealing my real hair which is a gem for our family – with my mother having the same wild red curls as I do.

She would pester me to a point where I would have to cave in and give the nosy woman what she wants. So, to avoid the awkward situation, Lisa offered to do it for me and assured me she would make every effort to not ruin it. Looks like her work paid off because I now look even better than Lily ever made me look.

"I know. That woman works less, and blabbers more. And you would probably be entering the grand hall in your red hair and having to deal with Wyatt stuck to you the entire evening."

A shudder passed through me by just imagining of such a possibility and noticing it quickly with her observing eyes, Lisa moved on to our next excitement – trying out our dresses.

We donned on our respective dresses and while I had chosen a dramatic blood red, floor length dress with off the shoulder straps and red crystals embedded in irregular fashion; Lisa had worn a similar black ensemble with bold flowers printed on it in red and white colors. Paired with our dresses, we had bought similar colored masks for the party.

Since everything was meant to be kept anonymous, we had all decided to enter separately, so that the others can't recognize us. So, father had already left to enter with his friends, mother would be going alone, and I was already about to go with Lisa.

As the clock struck seven, we both turned to look at each other one final time and grinned. The final result of preparing for almost twelve hours was mindblowing, and dare I say, something which made me feel satisfied that I starved myself. We both looked drop dead gorgeous, and once we had each other's approval, we slipped on our masks and stepped out of the house.

It was time for the ball.... and Cinderella was ready for it.

 and Cinderella was ready for it