18. t h e m i l l i o n d o l l a r a d v i c e

"Dozy woman? First of all, I'm an extremely intelligent person; secondly, I'm not a woman; and thirdly, if Har talks to me, what is it to you? You're anyway glued to her twenty-four hours a day. Leave her alone so she can socialize with the others too."

There they go again. Fighting over what's right or wrong for me, when both of them have no idea or intention to ask me about it. As if them discussing and deciding about what I should do will make me do as they please.

With both the girls glaring at each other, challenging each other to back down first, I was even more stressed. There has been a lot that's going on in my life. I feel like some hurricane arrived and made my perfect and peaceful world topsy turvy. How was I supposed to handle all the mess that has happened in my mind and my life, handle that intimidating prince, and then these two?

"I'm her best friend and cousin, of course I will be next to her! Who are you to tell me what to do and what not to do? I'm telling you Greens, this is the last-"

"Stop it Lisa! You too Ivy. We have class in two minutes, let's get there first. See you later Ivy."

I forcefully steered Lisa away from Ivy to our Biology class before she could blow her head. Their juvenile behaviour was irritating me to no end. Lisa protested for a while, but stopped when she looked at my visage – which must be displaying all my intricate thoughts for the world to see.

"What happened Harpy? Are you alright?"

She asked me, now worried for the sudden drop in my mood.

"Its nothing, I'm just browned off of you guys always fighting over me. This has to stop somewhere. And I have something huge to tell you, so come with me to my place after school."

"Wait wait... you have to slow down. I can't really promise you I won't fight that old woman again, but what is it that you want to tell me and why can't it be now?"

"Because I have class."

I replied simply, knowing very well how much it would irk her. She simply abhors being left in the middle and says her curious self can't have patience. This time unfortunately, she was going to pay for what she did this morning.

"Oh come on... pleaseee?"

She whined to know the truth one more time, but I was relentless and I wouldn't give in at all.

At just that moment, our teacher Miss. Morrison entered, leaving no room for further discussions. I smiled victoriously as Lisa groaned under her breath.

All day, she kept pursuing me and kept pressing for answers in the same fashion, but all was in vain. It made me feel so proud of myself – since I was accustomed to giving in to her, not the other way around. As soon as the last bell rang, she dragged me out of class and into the car which was waiting to take me home.

"Now tell me, what is it? And if you refuse to speak up, I will punch it out of you."

I laughed at that.

"Is that even a saying? 'Punch it out of you?' Never heard of it."

"Harpy!!"

"Okay, okay. Relax. So yesterday, I got a little something from – you know who – and it's the most beautiful and touching gift I've ever received. And I don't know what to do or think or feel anymore."

"Oh my God! And you're telling me this now?! Girl, you scored so big that I can't even talk properly right now!! What is it? What is it?"

And the usual Lisa was back. Bouncing up and down in her seat and grinning from ear to ear, as if she was the one who received it. My personal driver, Mr. Paulsen winced when the car shook for the nth time from her antics, and I gave him a sheepish smile. Such an embarrassment she was for me.

"A miniature piano, playing the song I produced a few days ago."

I told her, and was rewarded with another fit of squeals and giggles. She would really kill her boyfriend with her squeals which matched the frequency of a bat.

"Blimey!! You're so damn lucky, do you even have an idea?"

My smile faded slowly as I recalled the words of Wyatt from the night of the ball. That wasn't the first time in had been humiliated in that manner for not giving into him, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Nevertheless, I too was aware of what I was doing, and as much as I wanted to pull out, I found myself unable to do so.

The temptation of forgetting everything and just giving in was unbearable, but so was the inevitable remorse that enveloped me when he wasn't in the vicinity. I looked towards Lisa to find her silent, but troubled.

"What's wrong? Why aren't you happy? You should be jumping up and down with joy but look at you being all sullen. I don't know what's going on but there is definitely something. So spill it now."

She ordered me with finality in her voice, and I wasn't able to protest.

"I.... I don't feel jolly at all. I feel like I shouldn't have accepted it. I don't want us to go in deeper, but whenever he's around, I can't help but become avaricious, wanting more and more. What is all this?"

Understanding crossed her features after she heard the dilemma in my voice and saw the raw helplessness on my face. I was standing in between scylla and charybdis, and there was no way out. She laid a reassuring hand on my shoulder and said,

"Don't be stupid. Don't tell yourself that there is anything you need to be mindful of – whether it's your age or cast or whatever. Just listen to what your heart tells you whenever you are with him. He obviously wants you, and pays attention to you – enough to give you such a personal present. Don't lose such a good opportunity in life just because you can't gather courage."

My brows furrowed in confusion.

"What opportunity?"

"The opportunity to be loved by a good person. I might not know him much, but if he makes your heart flutter, then he is the one."

I looked at her in pure shock the moment these words left her mouth. I couldn't believe all those cheesy words had been in her mouth just a moment ago. We looked at each other in utter silence until I lost it and burst out laughing, making her bellow out with laughter. We must have laughed like maniacs for at least ten minutes, before we could even think of stopping.

"If he makes.... your h-heart flutter... yeah right..."

I choked out in between bouts of laughter which cracked her up even more. Once our moment of madness was over, the atmosphere turned sober and serious again.

"But always remember Harpy, never underestimate yourself Harpy. Okay?"

I nodded in gratitude, unable to physically speak and thank her for always being there and listening to me. Even if it wasn't much, I was in a good mood and her small piece of advice had instilled confidence and courage in me once again.

I think I'll be okay now.