23. t h e v i c i o u s g a m e

After that highly anticipated dinner that turned out to be plain awkward and a disaster was completed, the elders moved to another room to talk about politics and the state of the nation, while us younger people were escorted to a lounge where we were told to socialize with one another. The bizarre announcement had already drained me mentally and physically and I didn't think it was a good idea to stay here some more, but it's not like I could refuse the words of the reigning monarch. So I followed one of the helpers weakly, as she showed us the way to the lounge.

The gigantic room wasn't designed in a modern way, even though it was referred to as the lounge. It was done in the same style as the rest of the palace. It had pure white marble flooring with chandeliers lining up the ceiling. The commodious space was filled with traditional Victorian style couches but they were in deeper tones of maroon and red, with a large round cushioned table in the middle of it. The walls were painted in a solid cream color which complemented the red of the furniture. The fireplace on the right side of the room was burning lightly and sent a soothing warmth and sweetness of the sandalwood.

More wine and drinks were brought in and were left on the high top table on another side. The helpers poured out the drinks for everyone, while everyone made themselves comfortable. When Eugene entered, her gaze immediately landed on Lisa and I sitting on one of the couches, and she frowned visibly.

"These girls aren't going to leave us alone for the night? Gosh I really hoped I wouldn't have to see their faces at all!"

She whinged about us – while we were sitting right here – to Josiah. I was afraid he might listen to her and throw us out, but then internally sighed in relief. It might tear my heart to pieces, but it would be a good idea to start with this new reality that has been formed for us. Him being cold towards me would definitely put me off, without me trying too hard.

And so, I took no offense when Eugene spoke of me so lightly. I also brushed it off when she looked me up and down thinking I was some kind of alien who didn't belong to this world. Looking at the scene unfold, Lisa was about to stand up and give Eugene a piece of her mind, when I held her by the hand tightly. Her hear whipped to meet my eyes, her orbs full of fire and puzzlement. I gave her a look that showcased the calm I felt inside. Although I knew I was going to overthink and obsess over my each decision made tonight in the near future, I tried my hardest to not let my resolve break, for if it did, Lisa would know. She always would know.

Finally paying heed to my negative response, she somehow calmed down and sat back down with a huff. I faced the front again, but I could still see her seeing daggers towards Eugene from her eyes. I smiled inwardly as I silently thanked her for her unwavering loyalty.

A few seconds had passed and Eugene was looking up at Josiah with hopeful eyes. She expected him to listen to her words, and honestly, I did too. But he didn't say a word. He was poker faced as ever, and acted as if he hadn't even heard her. He however made eye contact with me, and my strong will started to wither under his gaze. I started to panic thinking he was going to oust our relationship in front of all these people, and quickly averted my eyes, praying fervently that he does no such thing.

He finally spoke, with full authority in his voice,

"Miss Harmony, Miss Lisa, you both are the guests of my grandfather and thus, you're welcome to stay here for as much time as you like. Please don't take the harsh words of my fiancee to heart, and enjoy your visit to the palace."

My eyes widened considerably as I heard him openly go against his fiancee and extend a warm welcome to both of us. I couldn't believe that he would do such a thing. Listening to his words, Eugene glared at him with her cold eyes, kind of like a warning, but he paid her no heed, now busy in drinking his glass of whiskey.

Seeing this, Lisa and Claire who were sitting on my either sides, snickered quietly. Her cheeks reddened in response as she felt embarrassed to have been treated like that. She turned that hateful glare towards me and I could have sworn that her eyes got more scornful than ever. She accused me silently as if I was the cause of all her problems, and I didn't know how to respond to that.

I wasn't sure if I had ever done something to harm her because her reaction to me on our first meeting was far too hostile, but I guess I would never find out the reason because of her guard being high up all the time. She was about to get up and go out of the room, when Andrew broke the ice... again.

"Okay okay guys, enough of all this. Now that we are away from the adults, let's play a simple game of truth or drink. Is everyone down?"

"Oh yes, of course! That's the perfect game to play!"

Came the answer from none other than Lisa, who was invariably enthusiastic about such silly games. She said it should incorporate the life of every teenager, but I was always on a different page than her. For me, this game was puerile and dangerous when you have secrets to hide. And right now, in this room, I was positive I couldn't play this game because of all the secrets I was hiding in my sleeve.

I looked around uneasily to find Wyatt staring at me from the other side with a smile on his face. That smile spelt trouble for me. I knew that he had a doubt about my feelings for Josiah, and he wouldn't waste another second to show me 'my place' as he calls it. He raised his eyebrows in a silent question, half anticipating the answer he knew I would give, and half enjoying my suffering. He knew I was a girl who didn't like unpleasant and embarrassing situations, and would definitely not play such a reckless game.

I too would have initially refused to play it, but upon seeing the challenge in his eyes, my resolve grew. I wanted to prove to him that he couldn't predict me or read me. That I would never dance to his tunes. And so I too agreed readily.

"Okay then, let's play it!"

I declared, which earned me a mildly impressed look from the idiot, making me suppress a smirk. I thought in that moment that I had already won, but if only I hadn't been so eager to take on a challenge, I wouldn't have fallen into his trap so easily.

It looks like he knew me better than I thought after all.

He knew me better than myself.