9. t h e m o m e n t o u s r e v e l a t i o n

I couldn't ask for his name

The timing was never right. Earlier, we were so engrossed in dancing and getting consumed by each other, that I couldn't even remember it. And by the time my mind reminded me of it, he had left me all alone to attend some business. I guess the mystery man will always be that way. Maybe that's how we were fated to meet and then part our ways in just a few hours. As I realized the kind of tragic romantic cheesy thoughts that were swirling through my head, I shuddered involuntarily and went to look for Lisa and Matt.

The dance time was now over, and I did dance with a few others after he left me. I had been having a ball here ever since I entered, apart from that one small instance where Wyatt was a hair breadth away from discovering who I actually was. I also needed to properly pay Lisa for her exceptional mind and extensive hard work.

I didn't really have to stretch my neck to look for my idiots a lot since I soon saw them trotting towards me. There was no way someone would give these underage people alcohol, so I guess they were teetering with excitement that the Prince among us was going to be announced very soon.

Also, since Lisa and Matt both were highly dramatic and to be honest, suited each other a little too much, this kind of behaviour coming from them was no surprise for me. It's just that when the rest of the crowd started to look them up and down with clear disdain painted on their faces, I wanted to remove my best friend tag and go hide in some corner out of sheer embarrassment.

Once both of them were close enough to me, Lisa decided it was time to address me with my name, that too extremely noisily.

"There you are, my sweet sweet Har-"

I couldn't have her shouting out my name like that and advertising it to the world. So I shut her with her hand and muffled all that was about to come next.

"Stop shouting. You're surrounded by people all around. And what's with you teetering like that? There's no way you got alcohol from the servers."

I asked her in a harsh whisper, which made her roll her eyes and shoo me away with the flick of her hand.

"Oh shush, you have no idea what we just did,"

She said, referring to herself and Matt.

"We sneaked out into the royal kitchen where all the food and drinks to be served were kept, and downed two glasses out of there. Though they were cocktails, I can still feel the buzz in my head. This has to be the best party I've ever been to."

She laughed and told me that she stole alcoholic drinks with such ease as if she had just walked her neighbour's dog in the park. Enraged, I looked at Matt for an explanation but he just shrugged his shoulders.

"I can't stand a chance in front of her stubborn will, Har. You know that."

I stopped a server that was passing by and took a glass of water from him and gave it to Lisa.

"Here, drink this and better correct your gait or someone will know about this."

Lisa pouted at this.

"Harpy, you're no fun at all. But tell me, how good was that stranger that you were clinging to him the whole night?"

She suddenly flipped like a switch and asked me about someone that I didn't want to think of — at least not for the coming few days.

But even though I was salty at the prospect of never seeing him again, I couldn't help but relive those moments in my head, which made my cheeks hot. Lisa noticed this and squealed in joy,

"Oh my God. You are so in love with him, aren't you? You've got to look at yourself in the mirror right now. You're burning up like the golden sands in the Sahara desert."

That made me even redder as I could feel the blush spread to my neck, and I hit her lightly on her arm.

"Stop it, would you? It was just a dance, don't make such a big deal out of it."

"Who was the man? Was he someone you know?"

Matt asked me with a frown on his face. The urgency in his tone must have been missed by Lisa, who opted to open her big mouth and blabber all about this said man right from the time we met him, but it didn't go unnoticed by me. Why was he so almost.... desperate to know the identity of that person? Was he alright?

As Lisa narrated the whole story to him, his expression changed from desperation to irritation to... anger? Why was he in such a bad mood? I couldn't help myself and asked him,

"Matt? Are you alright? You seem to be....lost."

He panicked as I asked him that question. Why is he always being so shady? He was lost for appropriate words as Lisa too started to see light of the situation. Her expression changed from a happy one to a worried one, as we both waited for his answer patiently.

But the moment never came. In that precise moment, it was announced that His Majesty will be gracing us with his presence, which meant only one thing — the prince will be introduced.

As His Majesty stepped inside the room, everyone rose in respect of the King, and once he was settled in front of the mic on the podium, everyone sat down again.

"Good evening to all the royal and noble ladies and gentlemen, I hope you all are having a great time here. Please excuse me for my absence until now as I am not a fan of such loud music. I'm sure that you all as well as the citizens of the United Kingdom are eager to meet their prince, the heir to the throne. And so, without further ado, that is what I shall do.

Few years ago, I had sent away my grandson to another part of the kingdom for his study and safety. Now, at the age of twenty one, he has returned as a polished and fine gentleman, who is brave as well as intelligent enough to handle the throne of this kingdom. And I'm very proud to announce that he will also be taking over his duties as the official prince of the royal family, and will get down to serving his nation with utmost determination.

I now introduce to the world, the prince and heir to the throne, Josiah Alexander III."

In that moment, I was positive nobody must have even looked at each other, or taken another breath of air inside their lungs as we all waited for the prince to show up with bated breaths. But what, or who I saw walking up to the podium, literally punched me in the stomach.

The man walking towards His Majesty was the mystery man I had been dancing with all night.