Baby Boy

You barely remembered the drive to the hospital at all, only John's reassuring hand on your thigh, gentle pressure. At stop lights he'd glance your way, his smile distracting enough to keep your heart from beating out of your chest with excitement and worry. Your mom had only said your aunt called her and said he was awake and to come to the hospital right away. She'd called you as she was running through the parking lot, probably dragging Robbie by the arm the whole way. She was crying, but you supposed it was happy tears. She told you she loved you, and she'd see you there, then all you heard was the silence as she hung up.

It had taken a moment for you to register everything she said, your body frozen and shock setting in. Finally John squeezed your shoulder and you'd blurted out the news, a hiccup of a joy popping out of your mouth. He'd leapt into action pushing you forward to your feet and then just wrapped the entire picnic up in the blanket. When he started running toward his car you followed, matching his pace. You could feel the smile spreading across your face and a laugh poured out when he unceremoniously dumped everything into his trunk. Then it was a blur, everything moving quickly as he rushed to get you to your dad's side.

When he stopped at the hospital door you leaned in to kiss him but he was already kissing the side of your head and pushing you out of the car. You nodded and then were out of the car, shutting the door and waving at him before rushing through the entrance. Muscle memory set in from all the trips to your dad's room over the last week and you found yourself in the elevator, the cloying hospital smell penetrating your nose and bringing you back to yourself. You took a deep breath, anything the doctor said after this point was only a hurdle to be jumped, your dad had already taken the biggest leap and woken up.

At your dad's room you slowed your pace, straightened your back and walked through the doorway. Your mom, Robbie, and aunt were standing next to the bed, but between their bodies you could see your dad, he was propped up in a pile of pillows.

"Y/N." He said your name and it was the most reassuring sound you'd every heard. Even with it's gravely quality, and tiredness it was a beautiful sound.

"Dad, you're back." That was all it took for you to crumble into a mess of fat tears and you reached his side, your mom pulling you close. Everyone was crying, and you just embraced the chaos for a moment. Once you could open your eyes again you looked him over, aside from looking extremely exhausted with red rimmed eyes from joining you in the crying spell, he looked like himself.

"Honey, you have to rest, please." Your mom fussed with him, her own tears still bright in her eyes. You glanced at Robbie, quiet and calm, but with a smile on his face. You couldn't guess how he'd been feeling, but it was obvious seeing his dad after so long was comforting. He held onto one of Dad's hands and one of Mom's.

"I was just sitting here reading your dad an article from my phone about solar panels and when I looked over at him he was looking back at me. I thought I was going to fall out of my chair!" Your aunt had begun to recount, probably not for the first time.

"You were probably boring him to tears Mary, he woke up to shut you up." Your mom teased her sister good-naturedly.

"I called the nurse and she called a doctor and for a few minutes it was just a flurry of people, then your dad finally spoke and everyone calmed down. It was a full fifteen minutes before I even remembered where I had dropped my phone to call your mom." Your dad hadn't spoken since he'd said your name and he looked beyond exhausted for someone who'd slept over a week.

"What did the doctor say?" You threw the question out timidly but hopeful.

"They aren't sure yet, Dad is still confused about some things and didn't pass all the cognitive tests but they are very optimistic that he'll improve over the next few days." Your dad nodded a couple times and smiled gently.