Love

You couldn't have this conversation with her, you knew you were at a disadvantage being on the verge of tears. She looked so confident in her expensive designer outfit and beautifully applied make up. Her pale skin, wide full lips, and dark eyes made her look adorable but also mysteriously appealing. You could tell why John couldn't shake her so easily just by looking at her.

She was looking at your clothes with mild disgust on her face that turned into a frown as she raised her eyes to yours once more. She looked ready to obliterate you with the flick of her elegant wrist. You turned away and hurried into class before you said something really childish or cried in front of her.

"He's never going to pick you, I mean you know that right?" You weren't going to rise to the bait, but the thought stuck in your head viciously.

You saw an open seat next to John but walked past it to the corner and sat down. You couldn't tell if he'd glanced your way or not but you refused to look at him. The little control you had left would break if you saw him. Professor Long was in front of the class immediately anyway and you pulled out your laptop and notes preparing to give her your attention. Every nerve in your body was firing erratically making you feel woozy and ill. You brushed the tears that threatened to spill down your cheeks roughly away.

You wrote down some notes as she spoke but when you glanced down you couldn't even manage to read what you'd written. You stole a glance his way, reminded of the peeks you'd taken at him when John had just been a crush. You'd loved admiring his sharp side profile and focused eyes. He looked like that now, unbothered by what just happened, just taking in the class like normal. Maybe his acting classes had really paid off, he could act his way through this lecture. Or maybe they'd paid off because he'd acted his way through the last two weeks with you. That thought was gutting and you pushed it down for others.

Had John really called you his project partner to Bree? Had he really unblocked her number and if he had when? The questions whirled through your brain until you couldn't even tell what was going on around you. You were surprised when the professor wrapped up the class and reminded everyone of the reading assignment. Your head felt like it had been spinning the whole time. How could over an hour have passed so suddenly? It was like whiplash as you brought yourself back to your surroundings.

"John and Y/N, stop by before you leave." Professor Long finished before returning to her desk. You grabbed your things shoving them recklessly into your bag and made your way to her hoping John was delayed but you both arrived simultaneously.

"Glad to see you back Y/N, how's your father?" She asked more kindly than you'd heard her speak before.

"He's had some great progress and it seems he'll eventually recover completely." The tightness in your chest eased talking about your dad. That was a safe happy topic. She smiled brightly and it eased the tension you were feeling slightly.

"Glad to hear it, now that you're back is Wednesday still a good day to wrap up your presentation?" You could feel John just out of your peripheral vision as you swallowed hard trying to ignore him.

"Yes we're ready." You answered for you both and she nodded and said goodbye dismissing you as she returned to a stack of papers on her desk.

You turned and headed toward the door hoping to clear the building and get back to your dorm. You'd email your professors for the rest of the day that you'd needed more time to finish some things with your family. You didn't think you could sit through another two classes in this haze. As you turned down the hall nearing the exit you felt fingertips catch the edge of your shirt with a gentle tug.

"Y/N, wait. Don't you think we should talk?" John's smooth voice came from behind you. You wheeled around shaking him off of you, anger spiking at how nonchalant he sounded. You just stared at him, his eyes looked tired and you wondered if that was because he was up all night with her.