Babygirl

Robbie barreled toward you and had your feet swinging through the air his arms holding you tight, you tried not to wince as the pressure was applied to the front of your body, teasing the clamps sharply. He was sweaty and laughing and you began to feel slightly dizzy before he returned your feet to the floor and hugged you.

"Y/N, I missed you, Y/N, did you eat your cookie yet? Did you see me playing basketball? Did you see all the baskets I made? Is that my new friend?" He peppered you with questions finally turning his attention to John who stood smiling by your dad, he must be thinking about the way those clamps compressed during all that violent squeezing and swinging.

"I did see you playing buddy, you're getting so good! No cookies until after dinner and yes this is John." You quickly answered all Robbie's questions before he was able to shower you with more. You looked at Robbie, he looked like any other dark haired, round cheeked young adult, he wasn't very tall but he was lean and could be considered handsome. It wasn't until he directed his eyes at you and spoke that you'd notice he was any different. His eyes held so much youthful innocence, and he spoke well enough to be understood clearly but the way he presented his message was closer to a ten year old than his twenty-four years. Your dad had grabbed him and was wiping his face and forehead with a cloth from the sink when your mother returned with a fresh shirt. She held it out to Robbie who grabbed it and ran into the living room to change, probably grateful to break away from his impromptu bath.

"Y/N why don't you and John take these to the table and set it, we'll be eating in about 10 minutes, Robbie can bring the milk and water pitchers when he's done." Your dad had turned back to the stove stirring a wooden spoon through something in a pot, the fragrance lifting from the pot was delicious. You grabbed half the stack of dishes from the counter and John grabbed the rest and you headed into the dining room. The two of you made quick work of arranging everything and by the time you'd completed the table your brother had bounded into the room carrying plastic containers of milk and water. You motioned to John which seat he should take and the two of them sat down with you leaning against your chair.

"John, what kind of school do you like?" Robbie was focusing his questions on John now and you smiled to yourself at what a dangerous path this could become. John was very sweet with him and they talked between themselves about his acting classes, and almost seamlessly moved into superheroes. John mentioned Spiderman and your brother chatted excitedly as you walked into the kitchen to help your parents.

"Hey sweetie, we're just about to bring everything to the table, do you want to grab the salad and bread basket?" Your dad motioned his head toward the items. Before you could pick them up you noticed your mother looking at you very closely.

"John's very attractive honey, do you like him?" Her eyes cut into you like she could read your mind, you didn't want to have this discussion, not with him feet away and likely to overhear.

"Yes, I like him, but mom please don't do this, he just had a break up, he's not ready for a girlfriend and I'm trying to be his friend and not get my feelings hurt." You whispered out the words to your parents quickly, hoping to prevent any awkward questions during dinner. Your parent's faces both softened, and your mom hugged you tightly, causing the clamps to adjust and bite into your skin, you squeaked a bit, but thankfully the sound was pressed into her shoulder.

"Then be his friend, and someday I know he'll see what an amazing girl you are and we'll be having a very different dinner together." Your dad had come up behind you and they both hugged you once more, your eyes beginning to water, not with emotion but with the tugging sensation that was driving you crazy. The moment they let go you practically dived for the salad and bread dishes and rushed them into the dining room. John and Robbie were still discussing the latest Spiderman movie and you set the food down and headed back to your seat by John your dad and mom delivered the remaining food to the table and sat down as well. Over the next couple minutes all the food and drinks were passed and everyone piled their plates full.