Complicated

Without early morning classes you woke up naturally, no alarm, sunlight streaming across your eyes. It took you a moment to realize you were alone in your bed. You sighed deeply and rolled over, a glance at the clock over your door told you the time nearer to nine than eight. You could hear the shower behind the closed door of your bathroom, and you breathed out relief that John hadn't slipped away without saying goodbye.

Your room was still a mess so you pulled on a tshirt and shorts then began tidying up from the previous night. By the time John opened the bathroom door, warm steamy air flowing out, everything had returned to its intended space. He carried his gym bag and wore a clean outfit in his usual style, ripped jeans and a fitted t-shirt. He dropped the bag and wrapped his arms around your waist pulling you against his body. You smelled the mint on his breath before he kissed you, allowing his tongue to tease against yours.

"Morning Y/N, I didn't want to wake you, but I'm meeting some friends before class to study for our quiz today." He pulled back brushing your hair from your face, your heart felt so full being held in his arms and you kissed him quickly.

"Thanks for letting me get a little more sleep." You smiled back at him and stepped back from his grasp. This was now the second time you'd spent the night together and one of you'd left quickly once the sun was shining again. You had your own classes to prepare for later, but the uncertainty weighed into your stomach. Aside from the one dinner with his brother, you weren't spending any time together that didn't benefit at least one of you sexually.

He noticed you pull back and stepped back into your personal space lifting your body against his until you had to tiptoe to keep your feet touching the floor. He kissed you again then brushed his cheek against your hair inhaling the scent.

"I'm going to smell like your shampoo today, it's going to drive me crazy. Tell me you're free tonight, I want to take you to my favorite restaurant babygirl." He let his lips tease down your neck, teeth biting at the skin delicately as he waited for your answer. His words were taking time to register, had he just read your mind, or sensed your insecurity about the time you'd spent together? Could it just be possible that he wanted more time with you too?

"I could make myself free, what time?" You decided to not allow yourself to show too much excitement, but you dragged your fingernails down the back of his neck when he lifted his lips to yours again. He kissed you until you felt breathless, then he let you slide down his body until your feet were flat against the floor again.

"Six, nowhere fancy, but you know I love you in a skirt," he kissed your forehead and then turned grabbing his bag. You blinked at his choice of words but pushed the thought down and quickly went to your fridge to pull a bottle of water. You extended it to him furrowing your brow seriously.

"Drink more water than usual today, all that lactic acid is going to be built up in your poor thighs. I'm a little disappointed I didn't get to see my master piece this morning." He took the bottle from your hand a chuckle escaping his mouth.

"I'm red and bruised," he pried a strip of ripped jeans open near the edge of one thigh and you admired the mark that he revealed. "These will remind me of you too, probably more than the shampoo, Y/N." He stepped toward the door and you opened it for him slowly. "Are you going to think about me today?" Why did his eyes suddenly look unsure of your response? Had sadness crept in behind his flirtatiousness this morning?

"John, there's no way I couldn't." Your mind immediately went back to the way he'd held you when you'd had sex during aftercare. You hadn't been sure it was going to happen until he'd rolled you beneath his body and taken you, both of you coming apart at the end. You'd pushed that thought down too.

The smile curved his lips upward and the brightness in it had you giddily smiling back as he backed out the door and turned to take the steps out of your dorm. With no classes for another couple hours, you'd have plenty of time to dig all those thoughts back to the surface. Shutting the door you headed for your cell phone, it was time to call in your best friend. You mentally calculated the hours forward to Italy where she was spending the semester abroad, and decided it was early afternoon. You pulled up your WhatsApp and sent the video chat flying across the ocean.