Chapter 1

I step into the elevator, hesitantly.  Standing in the center of the elevator as the doors started to close, I see Derek running to the elevator.  I quickly press the doors open button on the panel.  Derek catches his breath before stepping in.  He clearly didn't notice I'm back. I thought to myself.  Then he turned to me, his thoughts finally processing, realizing who I was.  I feel a small smile start to form on my face.

"Agent Rodriguez" he lightly pats me on the back. "How was your recovery?" Derek asks me.

Derek Morgan; always like a brother to me, we joked around with each other yet we also had a strong bond.  I could tell him anything and he could tell me anything.  But of course, I'd never tell him that, he'd get a big head and start bragging.

"W-well..." I stutter, unsure of what to say.  I notice Derek staring at me, straight in the eye.  Quickly, I clear my throat and straighten my voice, "My recovery was good, all better now."

Still looking me in the eye, Derek presses the button to our floor. "Well, glad you're okay, Hallie Allie."  He says with a smirk on his face.

I roll my eyes at him as he finishes his sentence.  "Seriously, you're still doing that, hot shot?" Hallie Allie had been one of the few nicknames I was given from the team.

He was about to respond when the elevator doors opened.  I walk out of the elevator next to Derek. 

He turns to me before stepping into the BAU, "You sure you got this, Rodriguez?"

I let out a deep breath, "I'm sure." I respond in a calm yet stern voice.  I put a gentle smile on my face.  He pats me on the back and walks in with me.

Penelope rushes from JJ's desk as she realizes I'm back.

"Hallie!  You're back!"  She says eagerly as she wraps me in her arms for a bear hug.  I hear Derek laughing next to me before he walks away.

"Hello to you too, PG."  I say while regaining my breath as she lets go.  I look at her and smile. 

Penelope Garcia; one of the kindest and funniest people in my life.  She makes cookies for the team, organizes get-togethers outside of work for the team, and more.  Penelope is always there for me when I need it, especially when I was in the hospital for my injury.

"So...how have you been?"  Penelope asks, eager for my answer.  I notice she now has her arms behind her back, hiding something.

I laugh slightly before my response. "I've been okay, much better ever since-"I trail off as I start to think about my "accident".

Penelope is about to say something with a concerned facial expression but I quickly continue my sentence before she has the chance to say something. "Anyways, I am doing well!"

Penelope breaks into smile and hands me a figurine of an angel.  I take it in my hands and analyze it, while Penelope waits for me to say something.  "It's beautiful, thank you Penelope."  I gave her a clearly unexpected hug.

I look over at Derek as I'm hugging Penelope. "Excuse me, but did I just hear Hallie Rodriguez say 'thank you'?" Derek says with a cocky smirk on his face.  I wasn't known for my manners at the BAU, neither was I known for my 'kindness'.  I roll my eyes at him as I pull away from the hug.

Penelope smiles then walks away to her little office.  I walk over towards my desk, looking over the whole room.  The desk diagonal from mine empty, the desk in front of mine taken by Derek. I notice Hotch glancing at me, waving me over.  Quickly, I drop my bag off my right arm, forgetting about my injury. "Ow!" I say as the bag brushed hard against the scar.  Derek looks over at me, concerned.

"You good, Hallie?" Derek says stepping towards me. I nod my head, gently lifting my right sleeve to look at the scar.  I rub it gently with my hand taking a deep breath, not noticing the attention I've dragged to myself.  Derek takes my bag from the floor and places it on the chair. He leans closer to me and says "I think you should go to Hotch now, he doesn't look too happy." I give a gentle smile and nod, turn away and walk towards Hotch's office.

Walking in, I close the door behind me. "Hello...you wanted to see me?" I say, trying to hide the nervousness in my voice.  I push my hair behind my ears as I wait for his response.

"Agent Rodri-Hallie, are you okay?" Hotch says, sounding and looking concerned.  I've never seen Hotch show his emotions, if I'm being honest. 

"Yes, I'm fine.  My arm is good."  I say and I immediately regret saying it because I know what he'll say.

"Not your arm, Hallie.  I mean you.  Are you okay?" Hotch says calmly.

I nod my head before responding. "Y-yeah I'm okay...Anyways, is there something you wanted to tell me?" I say quickly as I look over Hotch's face.  He looked rather upset, concerned with me.

"Okay," He says clearing his throat, sitting up in his chair. "You can return to your desk, Rodriguez.  JJ will let you all know when it's time for the round table." He responds looking me straight in the eye, like he thinks I'll say more.  I nod and turn away and head towards my desk.
--