Chapter 33

the night we met - lord huron

45 minutes. 45 minutes being held in Derek's arms as Spencer is stuck on the train with Elle.  I can't bring myself to watch the live feed or even listen to anything going on.

"How much longer?" My voice just above a whisper. I lean back so my eyes meet Derek's.

"Soon," He says, clearing his throat. I shake my head and look down. Derek lifts my chin with his surprisingly gentle hand, "Hey hey, she's okay right now and she'll be even better once they are off that train."

I nod my head, "Thanks Derek." I whisper. Derek could've left me alone and watched what's going on but no. He stayed with me. "I know you aren't really the sappy-type guy but I love you hotshot."

He smirks, "She really softened you up, didn't she." I roll my eyes jokingly. "Love you too, Rodriguez." Derek says giving me a hug.

Suddenly, we hear commotion from outside and I rush out with Derek. My mind immediately goes to the worst place as I see medics going into the train. Derek speaks to me as he turns me to face him. But I don't process his words, I just see his mouth moving. He points to the train. I turn my head.

It's as if the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders as I see Elle walking of the train, safe. Our eyes meet even though we are far away. My world goes into slow motion as I begin running to Elle, tears forming in my eyes. My surroundings becoming a blur, Elle being the only thing in my line of vision. As I get closer I feel my arm getting pulled back. I jerk my arm out of the grasp and continue running to Elle, her eyes locked on my tear filled eyes.

Our arms instantly go around each other as I finally make it to her. She's safe. "I'm so sorry Elle. I'm sorry." I sob into her chest, holding onto her tightly.

She takes my head out of her chest and lifts my chin, "This is not your fault. You didn't do this Hallie."

"I-I should've made sure you were okay... I shouldn't have let you go alone." I whisper as I shake my head. Elle doesn't say anything. She just pulls me back into her arms, holding onto me. My hands drop to my sides.

I pull away, wiping my eyes. "Why are you holding me if you are the one who was held hostage on the train?"

"That's because I'm fine. Hallie, I'm safe, I'm okay. Nothing happened to me but a small cut on my cheek." I nod my head, unconvinced. "Come on, let's go to the team." She says as she wraps her arm around my shoulder, pulling me into her side as we start to walk.

I watch as the take the woman who'd been shots body out on a stretcher out of the train. My heartbeat starts to rush again, tears forming in the brims of my eyes. What if it had been Elle who got shot?

I push away my thoughts as we approach Derek, who'd just finish talking to Spencer. I unwrap myself from Elle's arm as her and Derek begin talking.

"You okay Elle?" Derek asks, his eyebrow raised out of his worry.

"Yeah I'm fine. But..." Elle states. She begins pointing her head towards me, "Hallie isn't."

Derek looks at me before sighing, "Why don't you go speak to Hotch, Elle? I'll talk with Hallie for a-"

"No! I don't want to leave her. Please." My voice breaks as I cut Derek's sentence off.

"It's only for a minute, you'll be fine Hallie." Elle says rubbing my shoulder. I bite the inside of my cheek, slowly nodding my head. Elle turns and walks away to wherever Hotch is.

I look up at Derek who's right in front of me.  It's annoying that your six-foot-one right now, Derek. "What is it, Morgan?" I sass him, rolling my eyes.

"Elle was hostage on a train yet you are more on edge and traumatized than her-" Derek says before I cut him off.

"I'm not traumatized, you're just exaggerating.  You heard Elle, she's okay.  So I'm okay." I roll my eyes.

Derek scoffs, a small chuckle leaving his lips. "Your body language says otherwise.  Your twiddling your fingers, jaw clenched and your telling me that your 'okay'? I don't buy it." 

I cross my arms, "Stop profiling me, Derek!" I use a stern tone of voice I can barely recognize.  He rolls his eyes, shaking his head. 

My worry quickly being replaced by anger.  I turn around and begin walking to the SUVs we came in.  "Fuck off already." I mumble under my breath. 

A hand grabs my wrist as I reach for the door handle to the SUV.  I look up to see Elle. "Yes?" I raise an eyebrow, my words coming off harsher than intended and Elle's eyes widen slightly.

She lets go of my wrist as she begins talking, "Alright Hallie, what's going on?"

"I don't seem to know what you're talking about. You're fine, I'm fine, everything is perfectly fine." I respond.

She scoffs, "I find that extremely hard to believe since just before you didn't want to leave my side and now it seems that you're 'perfectly fine.'" I keep my face neutral and don't respond at all. "Get in, Hallie." Elle demands, opening the car door.

I roll my eyes before getting into the car and slide over to the other window. Elle gets in the car as well, closing the door. I feel her eyes on me as I avoid looking at her, knowing I'll break if I do. "Can you just tell me what's wrong?" Elle says, breaking the silence.

"Nothing is wrong, I told you. And Derek." I shake my head.

She puts her hand on my chin and turns it to face her, I close my eyes shut. "Say it. What could be wrong? I'm safe, you're safe, Spencer's safe, everyone is safe." Her hand moves to cup my cheek, tears begin brimming in my closed eyes. "Tell me angel, come on."

I open my eyes and blink out the few tears that formed.  "It's just..." I take a deep breath, "I don't know what I would've done i-if... if something happened to you.  I know you're okay but everything's coming back to me.."

"What do you mean by everything?" Elle asks softly, stroking my cheek with her thumb.

Before I have the chance to answer, Hotch and Derek enter the car.  Elle's hand quickly leaves my face.  "We're leaving now." Hotch says blankly before starting the car. 

I turn my head to Elle while I scoot closer to her.  "We are having a conversation later."  Elle whispers after taking my hand in hers.  I nod my head and give her a sad smile that she returns.  I turn my head back to face the front of the car.  "Hey, I love you." Elle whispers into my ear.

I turn my head and lean into her ear, "I love you too." She smiles, squeezing my hand reassuringly.  I sigh and lay my head on her shoulder.

Can't wait to have a conversation with her about "feelings."
——

A/N: Hallie being kind of a bitch ngl.
Continued next chapter btwww