Chapter 3

Hours later, we have a profile on our killer, we've visited all except one crime scenes.  I wonder who Gideon will send to the final crime scene.

"Rodriguez, take Greenaway and Morgan with you to the final crime scene."  Gideon taps me on the shoulder.  Elle and Derek?  Gosh, I better prepare to be joked around with from Derek.

"Okay, Gideon."  I say nervously.  He nods his head.

"Greenaway, Morgan. I'm sending you to the crime scene with Rodriguez." Gideon says loudly to everyone sitting down behind me.

I turn around and Elle quickly looks at me in the eye as she's sitting on the edge of a desk.  I smile softly at her.  She bites her bottom lip as she tilts her head down, removing her gaze from mine.  I smirk softly to myself.
---
Before I know it, I'm sitting in the passenger seat of the car next to Derek with Elle in the backseat. I glance back at Elle who's staring at the window.  I'm about to turn away when Elle looks at me and smiles, this time her smile seems softer.  I smile softly at her and wink, just like she would to me.  She slightly blushes and I'm pretty sure about to say something when Derek cuts her off.

"We have arrived, ladies."  Derek says as he gets out of the car.  I chuckle softly to myself while I get out of the car.

I walk up to the door of the house, I grab the handle to the door when I feel someone behind me, slightly closer than I'd usually be comfortable with.  I turn around and I'm instantly startled, it's Elle.  I look at her in the eye.  I felt my heart start to beat slightly faster, my butterflies in my stomach.  She smiles gently at me.  I realize that we were only a few inches away from each other.  I felt my cheeks heat up immediately as Elle winked at me.

I quickly return to reality and clear my throat.  I turn around and open the door to the crime scene.  I hear Elle chuckle gently to herself.  I immediately see a trail of dried blood running up the stairs, a series of scattered items across the floor.  I step in, Elle and Derek behind me.

"The murder sure is messy."  Elle mutters under her breath.  I giggle softly enough that no one hears.

"Rodriguez, Greenaway go upstairs while I look around down here with the crime scene crew." Derek says pointing up the stairs.

An unfamiliar feeling of nervousness mixed with excitement settles in my stomach.  Had this feeling really come from the thought of being with Elle? 

You need to stop it, Hallie.  You can't have feelings for her, you've just met her and she's a coworker, stop.

I step up the stairs with Elle behind me, both of us avoiding the dry blood.  We start looking around, room to room together. 
---
I take a step forward, unaware of something below my feet and feel myself begin to fall.  Before I can fall to the floor, Elle wraps her arm around my waist.  Crap.  I try my best not to blush but I don't think it worked.  She pulls me to my feet.

Still with her one arm wrapped around my waist, Elle looks me in the eye, "Are you okay, Hallie?"  She asks in her soft voice.  Before I can respond I notice that her gaze has shifted down to my lips.

I clear my throat as I unwrap myself from her arm. "Yeah, I'm fine thanks." I say while trying to avoid eye contact.

She smiles gently at me while she puts her arm back at her side.  Elle looks me in the eye yet again, "Are you sure you're alright?"

"Yes Elle.  I'm perfectly fine, I just- I just almost tripped over a box.  That's all."  I say playfully.  She nods and turns away.  Elle takes another brief look at the room before walking out.

Before stepping down the stairs she turns around "You coming?  I want to make sure I'm there to catch you if you fall again, Hallie."  She says in a half-joking tone.  Elle's eyes meet mine and yet again, she winks at me, smiling.  Her dimples are showing off yet again.  Why does she keep winking at me?  I break eye contact and start going down the steps.  Elle turns her back to me and continues to go down.  I hear her laughing lightly, her laugh soft and hypnotizing.

As we stepped off the final steps, I must have been deep in thought-thoughts of Elle-because I didn't realize Derek was speaking to me.

"You okay, Rodriguez?" He says as he taps me on my left shoulder.  I look at his hand as it rests on my shoulder and following it to look at his face.  I notice Elle keeping a straight face that seems to be hiding an unfamiliar emotion in the corner of my eye as she stands next to Derek in silence.

"I'm fine, just lost in thought is all." I say softly,  his hand leaving my shoulder.

He laughs to himself, "Lost in thoughts of-" Derek begins to say.

"You won't finish that sentence if you know what's good for you, Morgan." I say in a stern tone, cutting him off.  I had no idea what he was going to say, thoughts of what?  I look over at Elle, she has a confused facial expression.  Derek laughs once again and pats me on my shoulder.

"Always icy, huh Rodriguez?" He said while looking me in the with a smirk on his face.

"You know it." I reply in a joking matter as I eye roll and turn to the door.  I overhear Elle chuckling lightly, again.
---
In a matter of hours, we caught our murder and immediately got on the jet after notifying the public.  We sit at the table of the jet, Derek and Elle in front of me with Spencer next to me.  While JJ, Gideon, and Hotch are in the back probably sleeping.

"Want to play cards?" Spencer says while looking at all of us at the table.  I look at Elle, her eyelids seem to be heavy but I can tell she doesn't want to sleep right now.  I glance at Derek who seemed to already have grabbed the deck of cards and started shuffling.

I let out a sigh as Derek starts dealing, not realizing I'm already starting to dose off.  I rub my eyes, struggling to focus on the cards I was given.  Elle must've noticed because she gently tapped me with her foot under the table while softly smiling.  I jump in my seat startled by her foot, unaware of Derek and Spencer looking at me.

"Umm... whose turn is it?" I say, quick and nervous still with everyone's eyes on me.  Derek of course, laughing to himself.  Spencer looking at me concerned, Elle looking me in the eye.

"Could it be that Agent Hallie Rodriguez herself, is tired?" Derek says as he laughs.

"Shut the hell up, hot shot."  I respond in an annoyed voice.  Derek laughs again, Elle's eyes still on mine. 

Rounds of cards later and I still didn't realize Spencer had his arm around my shoulder until we able stopped focusing on the game.  I look at Elle that seems to have a mildly upset expression on her face as she looks at Spencer.  Derek sleeping of course.  I place my cards down and allow myself to fall asleep in Spencer's arm, ignoring the upset-possibly jealous-look on Elle's face.
---
A/N:  I hope you are enjoying the story, please lmk what you think!