Chapter 5

Elle and I head into the elevator, our shoulders brushing against each other at each step we take. I can't help but feel nervous since we are alone in the elevator. We stand, shoulders pressed together when suddenly she turns to me.

"Are you feeling a little better?" Elle says softly. I feel my grip on my bag grow tighter since I feel more nervous.

"Better since I'm with you." I say before I realize what I've said. I instantly regret saying anything at all. Elle looks me in the eye smirking. "I-I mean-" I stutter.

Elle laughs softly and puts her hand on my left shoulder, gently rubbing. "I'm glad the feeling is mutual" She says softly and instantly I feel my cheeks heat up, like always. Does she really feel the same?

Before I even realize what I'm doing, I pull her closer to me. I was going to take a huge risk and kiss her, but hesitated at the last second and instead hugged her. Whatever I have with Elle, I can't risk loosing it. I felt her breathe slightly heavier than before. Again, I inhale her scent as she pulls me closer into her arms.

"Elle, how do you-"I was cut off by the elevator doors opening.

"What were you going to say, Hallie?" She says as we walk out of the elevator and to her car.

"Nothing!" Quickly and nervously, I respond.

Elle laughs. Her laugh fills up the garage, I smile to myself as her laugh fills my ears. I look at her face once more before getting into the car, she has one of the most beautiful smiles I've seen her do, her dimples showing on each cheek.

"Hey, you coming in or what, Rodriguez?" She laughs lightly. I nod my head as I sit in the passenger seat next to Elle.

Elle starts the car after we get our seatbelts on and drives out of the garage. Elle puts her hand closer to me, I glance at her hand while her eyes are still on the road in front of her. It's like her hand is calling out to me, wanting my hand to be on hers. I take my hand and place it on top of hers. I look down at our hands for a moment before looking up at Elle. She's turned her head to look at me and smiled softly.

That's how we remained for the rest of the drive to my house, my hand on hers. We remained quite most of the drive but when we did talk, we spoke about how the BAU team is going to be hanging out the next week. When we arrived at my house, I hesitated to step out the car, not wanting to leave.

"Hallie wait-"She pauses for a moment. I immediately sit back in the car. "Don't go" Elle says as she moves closers towards me. My breath quickens as she moves closer, our lips centimeters apart. She looks me in the eye, searching for something. Elle cups my face with both her hands and our lips meet. I hesitate at first but kiss her back. Her lips soft and tasting like cherries. Our lips move perfectly together, in sync.

Then she pulls away. A billion thoughts race in my head, does she regret it? Does she feel the same way I feel about her? My cheeks are flushed, warm. The butterflies in my stomach fluttering, more happy than they are nervous. I look her in the eye as she's sitting back in her seat. "Elle..." I say as I face the front of the car. Hallie you can't do this. She's your coworker. It's against protocol, against everything you've worked for. My anxiety comes back and I feel her eyes on me, waiting.

"H-Hallie, I'm sorry." Elle says, nervously as I turn back to face her.

Not know what to say, I smile nervously at her. Barely able to make out the words, I say "Goodnight Elle" I wish I was able to say more but I had no idea what to say. What the hell am I supposed to say after that? I can tell I hurt Elle by her pained facial expression. I regret saying only goodnight to her and not something more. We don't say another word to each other and I get out of the car.

Rushing to get into my apartment, I immediately throwing myself onto the couch, crying. Why didn't you do anything good? Negative thoughts flooded my brain, my heart felt like a heavy weight in my chest. I cried and cried, the tears blurring my vision.

I sit up and wipe my tears trying to calm down. Deep breaths in and out. I look at the clock below the TV, 12:09 A.M. I knew I should've gone to sleep but instead I take out my phone. Contemplating everything that happened that night, I open messages to text Elle. I typed about a paragraph explaining to Elle how I felt about her and explaining why we couldn't be together. I was going to send it but then I don't. Instead, I delete it. I felt my breathing get heavy as the tears left my eyes yet again.

Hours later the sun rose, hours of crying on the couch, hours thinking about Elle, not getting any sleep. I knew I would have to talk to Elle eventually, but what would we say?
--