Chapter 4

A week later...

It's been a week since I've met Elle.  I found myself often getting nervous when we were alone or talking to each other.  How did she have this effect on me so easily?

I sit at my desk frustrated over the case file that I can't figure out.  By that time everyone had gone home, except Hotch and Elle.  Without realizing I drop the case file on the floor, the papers falling out. "F*ck!"  I exclaim, not realizing how loud it was until I hear Elle laughing at her desk.  I eye roll in a joking way as she walks over to my desk.  The feeling of butterflies comes back fluttering in my stomach as her and I bend down to pick up to papers.

"You really are a klutz, huh?" She says as she makes eye contact with me.  I feel myself smile lightly, Elle still holding my gaze.  Finally I realize her hand is on mine, we've reached for the same paper.  I admire the softness and warmth of her hand on mine and feel myself start to blush.

Looking her back in the eye instead of down at our hands, I lick my lips.  "Yeah, I guess I am a klutz." I say in a joking tone, trying to refrain from looking at her lips.

She laughs softly as she puts the final papers on the table and stands up.  She takes my hand gently, offering to help me up.  I allow her to help me up.  Gosh, why did she have to have such a soft, warm touch.

We stand face to face with each other, getting lost in each other's eyes.  Does she think of me the same way I think of her?  Before I know it, she has her arm around my shoulder, pulling me into a hug.  Elle puts her remaining arm around my other shoulder and my face is practically buried into her neck.  I can hear her heartbeat, it's quick, running.  I inhale her vanilla rose sent.  The most delicious, perfect scent I've ever smelled.

She had also slightly buried her face in my neck, this only made me more nervous. "I'm glad I was able to meet you, Hallie..." Elle says, her warm breath on my neck and her soft voice filling my ears.  I felt my cheeks flush as the butterflies in my stomach flutter around faster. "I hope we can become closer," She pauses for a moment, "Closer friends..."

Friends.  Right, that's it nothing more.  I overhear Hotch coming down the steps from his office.

"Am I interrupting something, Greenaway, Rodriguez?"  Hotch says in a stern, cold voice.  Elle immediately pulls away and turns to Hotch.  The warm feeling gone from my body, itching for it to come back.

"Not at all, I was just telling Hal-Agent Rodriguez how I can't wait to continue our friendship."  Elle says without a trace of any emotion.  Was that all she wanted with me, a friendship?  I've only known her two weeks and yet she had me wrapped around her finger and she didn't even know it.

"Okay.  Well I suggest you ladies head home, it's almost midnight."  Hotch says slowly turning around but then turning back facing my direction.  "Be careful, Rodriguez." He states, his voice sounding genuinely concerned.  Did he really have to say that?

"You got it boss." I say looking him dead in the eye.  If looks could kill, we'd both be dead.  Flashbacks of my injury flood my brain.  Me stepping out of my car, a man waiting for me at my door step.  Before I can do anything, shooting me in my right arm, the bullet going straight through my nerves and muscle.  I remember falling backwards from the pressure of the bullet, looking to my right and a pool of blood lying there.

Soon enough, the tears fill my eyes.  If I moved fast enough, I could've kept myself safe, I would've been okay.  I quickly try to wipe my face as the hot tears start to stream down.  Hotch already gone, Elle stands in front of me.  I can't even look her in the eye, I didn't want her to see me like this.  No one has seen me break down this easily, not even Derek.

Before she can do or say anything, I run to the bathroom.  I lean against one of the bathroom sinks, sobbing my eyes out.  I feel my knees get weak as I look at myself in the mirror, just barely able to make out the image of me.  I hear the door open behind me, it's Elle.  I turn to her as she moves closer, still trying to wipe my eyes.  She holds her arms out, just a few inches away. I look her in the eye, trying to breathe, trying to stop breaking down.  But I can't.  I allow myself to fall into her arms, the tears I just wiped away coming back.  She holds me close, I don't want her to let go. I've never allowed myself to be so vulnerable in front of anyone, so why was Elle an exception?

"Shh, shh, you're okay, you're safe here." She says softly, just above a whisper as she cradles my head.  Slowly, I start to calm down as she caresses my head, gently wiping tears from my cheeks.

I look up at her and she looks down, gazing into my blue eyes. "I-I'm sorry-you shouldn't have to see me like this, Elle..." I say softly, in clearly a pained voice.  Elle does a soft smile as she puts the hair behind my ears.

"It doesn't matter how I see you, Hallie.  I'm here to help you, no matter what."  Her words come out of her mouth effortlessly, genuine.  She puts her hand out and cups my face.  Her soft, warm touch making the butterflies come back.  Elle leans in towards me, I swear she's going to kiss me right then and there but instead she kisses my forehead.  I blush heavily while wiping the remaining tears from my eyes.

"Thank you, Elle."  I say softly as she pulls away from my forehead and removing her hand from my cheek.  I gaze into her eyes as she moves slightly closer to me.  What's happening?

"Now...do you want me to take you home?"  Elle offers, her face only centimeters away from mine.  Hallie stop, nothing can happen between you guys. 

"You really don't have to.  I don't want to be trouble," I pause, analyzing Elle's face. "Okay, you can take me home."  I say and don't regret it after I see the smile that forms on Elle's face.
--