•33

Before going home, Hyewon stopped by a chicken restaurant nearby and bought seasoned chicken for her father's dinner.

Though she truly despises him, she can't just not follow what that jerk wants. She's tired of being hurt by him.

Even if she wanted to leave him, he will and will always find her. He might also hurt her friends. And that's the last thing she wanted to happen.

So following his orders are the only way to prevent that to happen. Who knows what that man can do.

Hyewon first knocked three times before twisting the doorknob for the door to open. To her surprise, the man wasn't there.

"Father?" she spitted the words like poison. Calling him father makes her wanna puke but for some reason, she can't stop calling him like that. Maybe because she got used to it.

She called him again but no one answered.

"That's odd," her forehead creased as she looked around the house. The jerk would never leave the house. He will just lie on the sofa and drink alcohol the whole day.

Suddenly, a knock from the door startled the girl.

She walked towards the door and pulled it open. Revealing an old woman in her 60s who lived across the road.

"Uh... Good evening, how may I help you?" Hyewon asked.

"Are you looking for your father?" the old lady asked back.

"Uhm.. Yes?" not sure about the answer, Hyewon closed the door behind her.

"I saw him got taken by the police a few hours ago."

---

Hyewon went to the police station the lady told her. She was greeted by the police as she greeted them back.

She asked one of the police where her father is. Leading the way, the police escorted her.

As they arrived at where her father is, she saw him sitting on the ground inside a cell, had no expression on his face as if he already expected it to happen.

The man raised his head. When he saw Hyewon standing in front of him, his forehead creased.

"What are you doing here?" he asked coldly. Hyewon didn't answer, instead, he stared at him blankly.

"What are you staring at? You should be happy in my current situation," he scoffed.

Hyewon took a step forward. "I am happy. After all, you will pay for all of the things you did to me,"

She looked at him straightly. "I went here to give you this," Hyewon put the box of seasoned chicken down the floor and pushed it forward. "I know you haven't eaten anything yet. Make sure to eat that. Chickens are expensive."

"I'll be going," Hyewon stood up and turned her back. She was about to take a step when she heard him calling her.

"Hyewon, I'm sorry," for the first time, he called her by her name. But the last two words caught Hyewon's attention. He never says sorry to her, even when she's still a kid, not until now.

"I'm sorry for everything I did. It's just that, you remind me so much of the two people I hated the most. Your parents," the word 'parents' rings a bell on Hyewon. She turned around and asks.

"What about my parents? What is your relationship with my real parents?"

The man looked at nowhere, reminiscing past memories. "Your parents and I were best friends. We were friends since middle school. To make a long story short. We were in college when I caught feelings for your mother. But when I gathered up my courage to confess, unluckily, she was pregnant by you and the father is your father. It was already late when I found out that I had already fallen deeper than I expected. I got blinded by what I feel and started distancing myself from them. That's when hatred started to grow inside me," he sighed before continuing.