.003

Walking through the filth of Nevarro feels different. The girl's pace has slowed considerably while the Child coos nervously in his cradle. Mando tries not to notice the fear in his eyes or the way his ears flatten against his head. Mando also tries to ignore the girl's tight grip on the cradle as she eyes the patrons staring at them.

"Hurry up," Mando says as he leads them. He isn't worried about the girl running. With this many people, it would be impossible for her to get away with the Child safely let alone get off the planet.

The trio turns down an empty street, and the girl stops just before their destination, making the cradle stop as well. Mando takes one look at her face and knows she wants nothing more than to grab the Child and run. But she stays back, her gaze flickering between him and the door.

He knocks.

A droid eye extends from the wall, and he holds up a card. The door opens to reveal stormtroopers, their guns at the ready.

When the first one takes a step out, Mando notices the girl take a small step back as if readying herself to fight. Her hands still remained bound and resting in front of her, though her fingers twitch with each passing second.

She closes the Child's cradle when she finds the soldiers staring at him.

One stormtrooper waits outside while the other guides them in. "Come on," Mando says, motioning for the girl to walk ahead of him.

Her eyes remain on the ground as she steps forward, her hands inching closer toward the cradle as it moves next to her. He can't imagine what's going through her head as they walk down the dark corridor.

The leading trooper takes a hold of the cradle, opening it and tilting it down. Mando throws a hand out before the girl can pounce, snapping, "Easy with that."

"You take it easy."

Mando grimaces as the girl falls in step with him, her eyes on the Child. Despite the metal armor, he can feel the girl's clothing brushing up against him repeatedly as she inches closer, avoiding the dank walls and the stormtroopers around them.

When they reach the main room, Mando has to tug the girl in as the client stands to greet them with his doctor beside him. "Yes!" The client exclaims with a tracking fob in his hand. "Yes, yes, yes. Yes!"

Dr. Pershing raises a tool, and the girl steps forward. All of the stormtroopers raise their weapons in response as the client and doctor flinch away. "Don't worry," Dr. Pershing says. "Just checking his vitals."

It is strange to him—to see such war-ridden individuals scared of such a seemingly harmless girl. He knows better; she is far from harmless.

He tugs her back to his side, hoping the tilt of his helmet indicates his need for her to behave. With a clench of her jaw, she takes a step toward him, her eyes darting from gun to gun.