.103

 Few things in life have the ability to renew Din's hope in the world. Seeing the people of Freetown come to help them—exactly as Alora said they would—started a flame in his chest. Then the Mods arrived, and they all started squabbling. Like some messed up group of misfits.

He has yet to hear word from Fennec or Alora, but he called out many times, telling whoever could hear that they were pinned down. More Syndicate members come, and they do what they can, but it won't be enough.

A not-so-distant roar makes Din look up. Krrstantan emerges from a side street, throwing Syndicate members down and shooting anyone else. His chest tightens when he realizes Krrstantan came alone. The Wookie limps his way across the battlefield but falls just short of where they are.

Fett rushes out and with Din's help, they manage to drag him behind their blockade. "Welcome back, Santo," Fett says. "I have to confess, I thought you were gone. I owe you a nice long soak in the bacta tank when this is done."

"What about Alora?" Din asks. "She went to help you. Where's Alora? Tiri, I mean. Is she alive?"

Krrstantan looks up at him and says something. Never had Din wished he learned other languages more.

"They're falling back!" Someone yells before cheering erupts from their side. Din cannot shake the feeling they are celebrating too early. Something is wrong.

He steps forward and presses a button on his helmet. His view shifts and just turning the corner, he sees a large battle droid coming their way. "I wouldn't celebrate yet," he says. "We got problems." A second droid also appears, both now marching toward the small group. "We got real problems."

Forcefields appear around each of the droids a second before Din starts shooting. Each hit just bounces off of the shield as the droids continue marching forward. Fett launches his bazooka at the droids and fire explodes in front of them. Smoke billows up between the buildings, obscuring any damage done. A red light shines through before the droids walk into view, shooting back at them.

"Run!" Fett shouts. "We'll distract them!" Everyone scatters just before Freetown's tank is blown to bits. Din takes one of the droids, aiming his wrist flames at the shielding while Fett distracts the other.

Din quickly realizes his weapons are useless, so he leaps to Fett and brings out his last resort: the Darksaber. Heavy in his grasp, Din slices forward, but it bounces off the shield. "I can't get through," he says before he and Fett dart to the side.

"These two will destroy the entire city!" Fett yells.

"Our energy weapons can't get through and our kinetic weapons have too much velocity."

"Move!" Fett throws them both away. "Can you protect the others?"

"I can distract them for a spell. Why?"