.009

That promise didn't last long, and Mando almost feels bad about it, but they need the credits if they are going to survive being on the run. With three strangers and a droid now on his ship for an impossible rescue mission, Mando's never felt more on edge. The Child was asleep last he checked, and the girl seemed fine hiding with him in their small compartment.

He can imagine the girl in his head, curled up with the Child in her arms or in his hammock. Since Tatooine, he hadn't been able to get the image of her tattoo out of her head. It was familiar, just like the one on her back. He'd drawn it from memory as the only time he saw it was weeks ago at this point. Whenever they dock, he finds ways of asking around, but most people don't know either. A Rebellion General of high standing...He never would have guessed.

Forcing his gaze to stay off of the sealed compartment as he slips back into the hull, Mando watches the Devronian Burg grinning at his weapons collection. Quickly shutting the compartment, Mando grimaces under his helmet when Burg slams his fists into the doors before turning to another switch—the switch that would reveal the girl and the Child.

Mando slaps his hand back.

"Hey, hey, hey!" Meyfeld says, holding a hand up. Mando cannot find it in him to respect an Imperial sharpshooter. Sorry, ex-Imperial sharpshooter. "Ok, ok, ok. I get it. I'm a little particular about my personal space too. So, let's just do this job. We get in, we get out, and you don't have to see our faces anymore."

"Someone tell me why we even need a Mandalorian," Burg asks as he stares Mando down.

Mando shifts to stand just in front of the sealed compartment.

"Well, apparently they're the greatest warriors in the galaxy. So they say."

"Then why are they all dead?"

The laugher that erupts from the three others echoes in his head. Why did he even take this job again? Right, the credits.

"Well," Meyfeld turns to Xi'an. "You flew with him, Xi'an. Is he as good as they say?"

The Twi'lek simply focuses on the dagger balancing on her finger. "Ask him about the job on Alzoc III."

"I did what I had to," Mando says, hoping the girl can't hear. He doesn't know why, but that is a part of his history he does not want her to know.

Xi'an laughs as she lets the dagger drop into her palm. "Oh, but you liked it. See, I know who you really are."

"He never takes off the helmet?" Meyfeld asks.

She shakes her head with a mocking laugh. "This is the way."

"Hmm...I wonder what you look like under there," Mayfeld says. "Maybe he's a Gungan. Is that why yousa don't wanna show your face?" Everyone chuckles while Meyfeld looks back at Xi'an. "You ever see his face?"