.033

Alora's tears obscure her vision as she fights, meeting each of his strikes with one of her own. Her flesh keeps burning, but her only thought is what this man did. How he betrayed everyone, killed younglings—her friends. He doesn't deserve to live peacefully, not after what he did to everyone Alora loved.

She grunts with each swing of her saber, her arms burning with effort but she does not stop. Energy floats off of her in waves as she tries to focus on the battle and not the Child wandering aimlessly through this waking dream.

One of the man's strikes catches Alora off guard. She slips to her knees, falling back as one of her lightsabers tumbles from her grasp. Crawling away, Alora tries searching for it, but it seems to disappear in this vast landscape of nothing.

The man laughs above her—a cruel sound that makes her ears bleed. "Poor Alora," he pouts. "Crawling away. Guess you still can't face your past, huh?"

She clenches her jaw. "I accept my past," she pants. "It's shit, but it's mine. I have my own future to make."

The scar becomes less pronounced as he lunges forward for the death blow. Alora rolls out of the way and strikes from behind only for him to parry with his blue saber. Sparks fly into her face as they push away from each other, both panting and circling the other.

"Why?" She grits out. "Why did you do this?"

"I wanted to save my family." The voice no longer sounds mechanic, but it remains Vader's. "My wife was going to die. I had to save her."

"So you killed everyone who trusted you?!" Alora shouts, saltwater slipping off her chin. "They were children! They had no part in your war! I was a child—"

"But you were already part of this battle. The Jedi Counsel was grooming you all to fight. You were trained for war."

"It wasn't my choice." Her voice comes out in a whimper. "I didn't choose how I was raised."

"Neither did I."

She shakes her head. "You can't hide behind that anymore. You slaughtered the Jedi. You chose one person over everyone you've ever loved. How could you make that choice? You plunged the universe into darkness! You destroyed the only peacemakers in the galaxy!"

"I chose power." The lightsaber in his hand deactivates. Alora frowns as she pants, watching closely as he straightens. "Do you want power?"

"No," she spits. "I want peace."

"What about the power to bring peace?"

She hesitates as he holds out his hand, slowly walking towards her.