.106

 Their trip has been mostly silent up until this point. Alora has not offered her opinions on where they are going because the Mandalorian had neglected to share. Instead, she just maintains her part of the ship, letting Grogu come out to play every so often. That's the only time they really speak to each other.

They left each other on difficult terms. Though neither said anything hurtful, actions speak louder than words. The Mandalorian formerly known as Din Djarin chose to return to his Creed that would no longer want him, a Creed that has no home and no leader. The former High General who left her people in disgrace chose to continue with no one to recognize her, no one to pull her from drowning in the past. Their paths simply walked away from each other.

Until Grogu returned. Until Alora realized her promise was not yet complete.

As they come out of hyperdrive, Alora recognizes exactly what sector Mando has brought them to: it would take little effort to get to Mandalore itself, ruined as it may be, but Mando takes them elsewhere. At least the planet they fly to is not completely desert.

"You know where you're going?" Alora asks as they enter the atmosphere.

"I have an idea."

They fly for a bit in silence before Alora spots flashing lights. Directing Mando to the commotion, she arches a brow at the Mandalorians fighting a large creature at the edge of a lake. "Looks like we got here just in time," she says as she readies herself with the weapons system.

Mando says nothing as Alora fires a direct shot into the creature's side. Grogu coos while Mando turns the ship around for another fly-by. Once again, Alora shoots true, almost turning the creature on its side. Instead, it blows a hole in the creature, guts flying over the beach, as it lets out a final roar and sinks into the sand.

Grogu begins to clap as Mando lands the ship next to the large corpse. As the top rolls back, Alora stays seated while Mando turns to look at his people before eventually getting out of the ship. Alora helps Grogu from the ship, letting him walk alongside Mando as he follows the Armorer into the cave entrance.

She holds back, glancing around at the other Mandalorians staring at their small group. Placing her hands under her robe, her fingers run along her lightsabers, ready at any moment.

"Alora." She glances up at Mando who stands at the cave. He jerks his head toward the darkness inside.

Holding up a hand, Alora shakes her head. "I mean no disrespect, but this is a Mandalorian space. I do not want to intrude until I am welcomed. I can wait. I'm sure you are already in trouble for bringing me here." She lowers her voice at the last part, but she is sure Mando understands the sentiment.

He simply shrugs and walks in, Grogu following behind like a shadow.

Silence spreads across the beach as Alora slowly turns her back on the cohort. She hopes they take the action as one of respect: she trusts they will not attack her, and they have the chance to size her up. Her lightsabers are shielded from view, but the tips of her beskar blades peak out from below her robe. If Mando ever asks for them back, she will gladly return them, but until that point, they offer a beneficial alternative.

She runs her hand along the ship's exterior, sighing at the cool metal against her palm. It takes a few more seconds before she hears the Mandalorians behind her begin to clean up, their feet sinking into the loose sand.

Smaller, quicker footsteps sneak up behind her, stopping a few feet away. Turning around just enough to catch sight of the young child watching her, Alora takes in the pristine helmet with a few cornels of sand sticking to the metal. She waves her hand tentatively, but the child makes no move to acknowledge it.

"You are not Mandalorian," the child says.

Alora sighs. "No, I am not."

"You should not be here."

"I agree with you. I go where my travel companions do, and they came here." Pressing her back to the ship, Alora crosses her arms over her chest. "I have no Creed. Not anymore."

"So you are alone? You left your Creed?"

Her voice gets caught in her throat. "I had a Creed chosen for me. Once able, I chose my own path. Did you choose the Mandalorian life?"

The child straightens his shoulders. "Of course, I did. This is the Way."

But is it your Way? "I mean no offense. You Mandalorians are very close. It is admirable. My Creed was lonely."

"Do you wish to go back?"

"Sometimes," she admits, glancing down at her boots. "I miss knowing my path and duty. Now, I get to choose, and it can be terrifying. Those who followed my Creed were wiped out, so perhaps finding my own path will save me." Pursing her lips, Alora shakes her head, "But belonging is rare, youngling. Hold onto it. I have a feeling I will see you again soon."

"Din Djarin is an apostate." An older male voice says. Alora drags her gaze from the young child to another adult Mandalorian she recognizes from when Mando rescued her from Nevarro, just after they first met. Paz Vizsla, she believes. "You will not return."

Lifting her chin, Alora catches sight of Mando and Grogu emerging from the cave. Despite herself, relief floods her chest before she says, "First, Din Djarin is determined. And I won't let him fall." The others turn to watch Mando and Grogu cross the beach, which gives Alora enough time to add, "And second, thank you for your help on Nevarro. I may not be worth your help, but the child is. Thank you."

Paz Vizsla turns back to her just as Mando gets close enough to hear if either were speaking. Instead, Alora just lifts herself into the ship and gets herself settled.

It takes a moment for Grogu and Mando to get into the ship and take off into the sky. Alora does not need to ask where they are headed after looking down at the coordinates Mando put into the ship. "Nevarro?"

Mando glances at her. "Yes, I thought we should see an old friend for some help. We will eventually be going to Mandalore. That alright with you?"

She shrugs. "Where you go, I go."

✦✧✦✧✦

I don't really have a comment for this chapter other than it's also on the shorter side. Happy new year! 

Hope you enjoyed!

-L