.116

 Alora has not been doing well since their trip to Dagobah. Din had to carry her in his arms back through the forest and swamp, but he did not mind. What bothered him was how empty she looked when that girl disappeared, how closely she held those pieces of paper and the charms. Alora's eyes have always been dark, but there is a light there now—and it scares him.

She did nothing but cry on their way back to the Mandalorian covert. Bo-Katan knew better than to ask or bring attention to Alora silently crying in a corner of her ship. Din managed to get her to sleep, but it was fitful, and every time he moved away, she would wake again.

Grogu keeps an eye on her now. As the only two in the covert to not wear helmets, it makes sense. It also makes sense that Grogu won't leave her side, and she still hasn't spoken a word. Perhaps a soft thank you to Din for getting her food or a good night, but it is like she is a walking ghost.

The last thing he heard her say was when she was clinging to him as he walked them back to the ship from the clearing. She said: "He knew this whole time. He knew. Why didn't he tell me? He knew."

He has no idea who she is talking about. And even asleep, if anyone comes anywhere close to the letters or the charms, Alora wakes and keeps them from sight.

Din is worried. Bo-Katan is worried, though she does not interfere. None of the Mandalorians know her well enough to be worried, but he can tell they know something is off.

For now, he passes the time outside of Alora's quarters, playing a strategy game with Bo-Katan. Din has a good enough view of the inside of the room where he can see Grogu sitting in front of Alora who lies facing the back wall, curled into a ball.

"She's not ok," Bo-Katan says quietly. "You know she's not."

Din purses his lips. "I don't know how to help her. She won't let me in."

"I think you're the only one she'll let in. This isn't healthy." She glances over her shoulder at the room. "What happened in the swamp?"

Shaking his head, Din replies, "I don't know. She read a letter. There was a girl, but she disappeared. Looked around five or six years old."

"The Force works in mysterious ways," Bo-Katan sighs. "I have known Jedi in my day."

"She's not a Jedi." He spits it out with the same malice Alora does. He has heard enough about the Jedi ways from her that he cannot stand the thought of her returning to their Creed. Not after the way they treated her.

Bo-Katan tilts her head. "I have also known a few not-Jedi. To be a Force-user, you need to have balance. She was teetering on the edge before our trip. Now is different."

Before Din can say another word, the sound of an unfamiliar ship echoes through the caves. Din and Bo-Katan spring to their feet. He rushes to Alora's room and says, "Stay here, we'll be back."