.024

While many parts of her training were gruesome, no one had ever broken her fingers, healed them, and broken them again. Alora finds herself clenching and unclenching her fists as stormtroopers walk her through the halls of the Death Star. When they eventually meet with Leia's escort, Alora quickly steps beside her, walking according to her pace.

Darth Vader walks a step behind them, his breathing making Alora wince.

"Did they hurt you?" Alora asks quietly.

"No." That's a lie. She could hear the screaming from her cell. "You?"

"No." Alora purses her lips as she counts her steps in her head, her fingers tingling at their bound position. "What do you think they'll try next?"

"I don't want to know."

As they walk onto the control bridge, Alora lets out a laugh at the man standing at the helm. Leia's eyes narrow in anger when she recognizes him, saying, "Governor Tarkin. I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash. I recognized your foul scent when I was brought on board."

"Charming to the last," Tarkin replies. "You don't know how hard I found it signing the order to terminate your life." He grips Leia's chin before his old eyes dart to Alora. "As for you, High General, we have greater plans than a simple execution."

"Wonderful," Alora says dryly. "I've always looked forward to fireworks. Got any of those? I'm surprised, Tarkin. You see, I've always known you to be nothing but a sniveling coward, yet you took responsibility for the orders. How uncharacteristic for you to be so courageous."

His face flushes as he takes a step forward. "Before the princess' execution, I would like you both to be my guest at a ceremony that will make this battle station operational. No star system will dare oppose the Emperor now."

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers." The grin on Leia's face almost makes Alora feel like everything will be ok, but she can feel something shifting in the air.

She glances back at Vader, his own helmet directed at her.

"Not after we demonstrate the power of this station." Tarkin looks between them. "In a way, you have determined the choice of the planet that will be destroyed first. Since neither of you are willing to provide us with the location of the rebel base, I have chosen to test this station's destructive power on your home planet of Alderaan."

Alora's heart stops cold as her eyes dart to the window to see her planet in front of them. How did she miss this before? Leia does not fair much better than Alora as the general shakes her head. "You know better than anyone, Tarkin. Alderaan is peaceful. I'm the extent of its military power—"