39. Houdini

Sweat trickled down the side of Devyn's temple as she kept a careful eye on Kiara, who was suspended haphazardly above the ground

Sweat trickled down the side of Devyn's temple as she kept a careful eye on Kiara, who was suspended haphazardly above the ground. Taking down JJ's odd choice of decorations was eventually forgotten about, the group of four deciding to work on creating their pulley system instead, which currently held the Cerrera girl inside.

"How's it feeling?" Pope asked curiously, given that he was once again the brains behind the operation, though Devyn and JJ did provide a few questionable ideas, varying from piggy back rides to a crocheted ladder, all of which were quickly shot down.

"Feels good," Kiara tugged on the chain keeping her suspended, giving the boy a small smile.

"Taking you down," Pope murmured, shooting a look over to Devyn and JJ, who had their feet in the powered-off hot tub, talking amongst themselves.

JJ handed Devyn another beer, his arm wrapped firmly around her waist, holding her tightly to him.

"John B pullin' a Houdini," JJ joked, though Devyn could tell he was slightly worried by the tone of his voice.

He had been on his fishing trip with with Ward all day and hadn't been seen for hours. To say that Devyn was worried would be an understatement, though she had gotten more used to his disappearing acts, given that they seemed to be increasing in number as of late.

"Yeah, where is he?" Pope wondered aloud as he began to pull Kiara down.

"Maybe he's still fishing with Ward," Devyn hummed, taking a large swig of her beer to try and ease her nerves. "They probably checked out that spot Guffy couldn't stop yapping about."

"I got my scholarship interview tomorrow morning," Pope reminded the group, rolling his eyes when he heard Devyn's excited squeal. "We gotta get this done."

JJ slapped Devyn's thigh —rather aggressively, one might add— and jerked his head to a determined-looking John B who was rapidly approaching.

"Speak of the devil. Hey!" JJ shouted to his friend, squeezing Devyn impossibly closer. "Dude, Dev and I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything."

"No, they did not. I did that," Pope quickly countered, causing Kiara to giggle.

When John B didn't respond, and continued marching toward the Chateau, not even pausing to acknowledge any of them, Devyn immediately knew something was wrong.

She was out of JJ's grip and the hot tub in a matter of seconds, jogging to catch up with him as he stormed into the house.