8. Diver Down

After their excursion last night, Devyn was exhausted and sore

After their excursion last night, Devyn was exhausted and sore. So when John B came banging on her window at 1p.m, effectively waking her up for the day, she was crabby, to say the least.

The group was gathered under the small wooden shack in John B's backyard, all of them scattered around the area. Devyn sat next to Kie on the plaid yellow couch, her eyes closed and arms crossed as she listened to the girl play the bongos. Her hair was thrown into a messy bun, her body adorned in sweatpants and a bikini top, showing the sizable bruise along her ribs from Topper's foot. JJ leaned on a small table as Pope sat in a metal chair, elbows resting on his knees as he nervously shook his foot.

"Look, I'm callin' it off. All right?" John B sighed, crossing his arms as Devyn opened her eyes, her interest officially piqued. "Peterkin said, if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS."

"And you believed her?" JJ scoffed, shaking his head as Devyn spoke up.

"Since when do we trust cops?" She snapped angrily, the memory of Shoupe and Peterkin standing in her hospital room after the accident forever engraved in her memory. We're so sorry, hunny, Peterkin had said, as if her apology made up for the fact that her mother just died. To say she hated them would be an understatement, although she knew it wasn't their fault.

"Exactly," JJ hummed in agreement, watching Devyn as she zoned out.

"Yes, I believe her," John B scoffed.

Devyn shook her head as JJ spoke up while throwing rocks, "an actual cop, John B. You believed a cop."

"All I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days, and she'll help me out," John B explained defensively, his anger beginning to shine through as he looked at JJ. "It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun."

"You know what I should have done, man?" JJ laughed to himself. "Just let Topper drown your ass."

"Yeah, because Topper was gonna drown me?" John B scoffed.

"Yes, John B," Devyn hissed in disbelief at the boy's behavior, standing up to defend JJ. "Topper was quite literally drowning you! I had to tackle him off to give you a minute of air so you wouldn't die, you ungrateful asshole!" She snapped, her hand motioning to the large bruise on the right side of her abdomen.

John B groaned at her response as he began to argue with JJ, who had left his homey seat on top of the table. "They always win, don't they, man? Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win! Goddamn!" JJ yelled as he hit a fishing buoy that was strung up across the front of the small shed.

"It's okay!" Kiara exclaimed, trying to interject before things got too out of hand, watching as emotions were flying all over the place.

"No, it's not okay!" JJ snapped back at Kiara, although his anger wasn't aimed at her. "It is not! They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it, man, I know you do."