43. No Going Back

Happiness was a funny, fickle thing

Happiness was a funny, fickle thing. There one moment and gone the next. Devyn was used to the lack, to the aching, expansive hole that had swallowed her whole many times before. She should've known it would circle back and sink it's teeth back into her. Maybe she was a fool, maybe she was simply hopeful, although a part of her always knew it wouldn't last. It couldn't all be hungry kisses and sweet nothings and drunken laughter with those who mattered most.

And as John B uttered those slew of words, she knew. She knew that was when her happiness ended and all of her true troubles began. Call it intuition, a second sense, an other knowing, but she felt it. Physically felt it. She felt the shift in the air and the reality around her as everything came crashing down within her brain, causing a crushing sensation on her chest, her heartbeat slowing as though the life was draining from her very being.

Without warning, it was if she was snapped back into her body, her mouth moving before she could even process the words that were coming out.

"We need a plan. Like, now. There's no way that Ward or Rafe will take responsibility for this," Devyn stated, her voice and demeanor unnervingly calm as the rest of the Pogues began to freak out, bar a shell shocked John B.

Everyone else was in a complete and utter panic, and now, the motherly role fell upon Devyn, per usual.

"John B, come here and sit down," the Keoka girl guided the boy by his shoulders, pushing him gently into the couch. "Pope, give me that," she snatched the juul from his hands and took a quick hit. "Kiara, let's take some deep breaths. You too, JJ."

She dramatized her breathing, urging all four of the Pogues to stay in rhythm with her breaths. After a few minutes, they had all calmed down enough to think somewhat coherently.

"We have a few options here," Devyn paced back and forth in front of her four friends, who were now all seated on the couch with John B, whose shock was slowly wearing off. They looked up at her like children watching their mother scold them, although her tone was anything but angry.

"One: we can make a runner. Go to Yucatán and live on the water and all that shit," Devyn waved her hand toward her boyfriend, who smiled proudly at the idea. "Two: we can go to the cops and tell them what happened. Three: we can kill Ward and Rafe, though that would definitely mean more trouble for us."

"Murder is not on the table," Kiara threatened with a harsh glare, smacking JJ's chest when he looked as though he were actually considering it.

John B stood up, rather suddenly, still looking as though he were right out of one of Devyn's favorite horror films. He grabbed Devyn's hand, beginning to march her away from the rest of the group.