3. Your Dad's a Pussy, Over

"Please tell me we're not actually going to surf right now," Devyn groaned, looking at the violent waves wreaking havoc on the island

"Please tell me we're not actually going to surf right now," Devyn groaned, looking at the violent waves wreaking havoc on the island. The swells were larger than they could handle— much larger. Every time a wave crested it simply collided with another, which only meant one thing; they were about to absolutely eat shit.

"It's a double overhead out there, bro," John B said excitedly, pulling Devyn along with him. "Come on, DK, keep up."

"Double overhead?" Pope questioned nervously, beginning to feel queasy at even the thought of getting in the water. "Those aren't surfable waves, bro."

John B laughed, adrenaline pumping through him as he punched Pope's shoulder, dragging Devyn along with him towards the ocean as she stumbled over her own feet in an attempt to keep up. "Says who!"

——-

"I feel like I just got beaten with a sledge hammer," Devyn groaned, setting her surf board on John's front porch as she stiffly maneuvered her sore body. The waves had been brutal to them, knocking them every which way no matter how many times they tried to surf them.

"Come on, that was awesome!" John B exclaimed as he walked inside, hopping on top of the couch and pretending to surf it, almost falling over as a result. The tall boy often almost lost control of his limbs. Although he was buff, he was lanky and uncoordinated, which made for an amusing combination.

Devyn only chuckled in response, shaking her head at the boy's antics. "Can I stay here tonight?" She asked softly, hand subconsciously trailing over the now blue and purple splotched handprint around her scrawny upper arm.

"Yeah, of course," John B told her, his brown eyes trailing over her bruised skin. "I'll get you some clothes."

Devyn muttered a quiet 'thank you' as she began to fold the pull out couch into a bed. She tied her messy black locks into a knot on the top of her head, thanking John B as he tossed her a t-shirt that was 4 sizes too big on her and a pair of boxers.

"Not snuggling with me tonight?" John B teased, his eyes holding masked concern for the girl's well-being. The two always slept in the same bed since they were kids. It was like siblings sharing a bed, completely normal for them.

"Not tonight, Johnny Boy," Devyn smiled at him, trying not to tell him that being touched had began to freak her out ever since her mom died. John B was usually the exception to this new anxiety, but the girl felt particularly overwhelmed today after her encounter with Alex.

She hopped off of the couch and onto her feet, making her way to the small bathroom to get changed.

"I'm using your tooth brush!" Devyn called out to him from behind the closed door.

"I will fucking kill you, Dev!"

——-

Morning light streamed through the open windows of John B's house, causing Devyn to blink slowly, attempting to take in her surroundings. Her head was foggy, as it always was in the morning. Her long black waves were frizzy from her slumber, her hair sprawled every which way on the pull-out couch. She watched through squinted eyes as John B walked through the house, attempting to turn on the lights that clearly weren't working.