5. Deny, Deny, Deny

"I need an inhaler," Devyn rambled, her heart beating at an alarming rate as her, JJ, and John B jumped back onto the boat

"I need an inhaler," Devyn rambled, her heart beating at an alarming rate as her, JJ, and John B jumped back onto the boat. "Or a blunt. Or something! Oh, my God. I think I'm having a heart attack."

"Quit tweaking, DK," JJ groaned at her, trying to hide the fact that he was just as equally freaked out and confused about the situation they had just endured.

"I can't! We almost died!" She snapped, putting a hand over her racing heart. "I can't breathe."

"Do something," Kie pleaded, hugging her friend tightly, releasing her after a few moments as Pope got them the hell out of there. "Before she has a panic attack."

Devyn's breathing quickened as she bent at the waist, hands on her knees as she tried to slow her breathing down to no avail. She used to get horrible panic attacks as a kid but hadn't had one in years. Remembering this fact, as well as the fact that her brother was always the one to calm her down, caused her breathing to speed up a little faster. 

JJ took one of her hands in his, making her stand upright. Devyn looked at him, eyes full of utter anxiety.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled, pulling her into a hug that took away her breath in an entirely different way, one that she couldn't quite put her finger on. He squeezed her tightly, burying his head in the crook of her neck.

"It's okay," she mumbled, threading her shaking hands through his blonde looks. "I'm okay, we're okay," she repeated to herself in an attempt to calm down. JJ kissed her head gently as he felt her breathing return to a normal pace after a few minutes, releasing her after one final squeeze.

"Could have warned us a little sooner," JJ said pointedly to Kie and Pope, laying across the front of the boat in an attempt to relax.

"We would've, except Pope was on the math team," Kie grumbled.

"You were on the math team?" JJ asked, surprise lacing his tone.

"Why am I not surprised?" Devyn mumbled as she sat in between John B's legs, leaning against his chest.

"The cops took everything like it was a crime scene," John B said, trying to get the group to focus on what actually mattered in the moment.

"Did you guys find anything?" Pope asked curiously, steering the boat away from the skeevy motel.

"Did we find anything?" JJ drawled dramatically, digging around in his pockets as he sat up. "No, I don't think so. Oh, yeah, we did," he grinned childishly, holding a stack of cash and the gun.

"What the hell?!" Pope yelled, standing up quickly.

"Dude, what?" Kie asked, looking between JJ, John B, and Devyn.

"Dude, chill. Come on," JJ told Pope as he stood up, showing him the sleek black gun.

"Why would you take that from a crime scene?" Pope questioned angrily, smacking JJ's chest.