2. All Aboard the HMS Pogue

"Alright!" John B clapped as he parked the Bus, or Mystery Machine, as Devyn called it, outside of his house

"Meet at the dock in 15," John instructed, "grab your suits and some brews."

JJ let out a 'whoop' as he opened the van door, grabbing Devyn and throwing her over his shoulder.

"JJ, knock it off!" Devyn squealed, pounding roughly on his back with her small fists, although the boy wasn't even slightly fazed.

"Quit complaining, Dev," JJ scoffed, beginning to spin around whilst holding the girl, causing her to squirm against him. "I'm giving you free transportation, stop being so ungrateful."

"I live two houses down," she reminded him as he finally set her down.

The upside of living on the Cut; nobody cared what they did. Most of the Pogues came from messed up home lives, Devyn being no exclusion. She was just thankful that she lived so close to her best friend, John B, who knew a little bit of what her real life was like. Devyn Keoka was never one to talk about feelings, even after her mom died last summer. JJ swears that she didn't even cry at the funeral, which wouldn't be out of character for the girl. She always chose to focus on other people's problems instead of her own; it was how she coped.

JJ stood on Devyn's front porch, sighing as he sat beside the front door.

"When are you going to let me inside of your house again?" JJ questioned, causing the girl to laugh. Ever since her mother passed, Devyn hadn't let a single one of her friends inside of her house. Not even John B, who practically lived next door. 

"Never," Devyn told him, shooting him a sly grin as she opened the front door, "be out in five, don't miss me too much," she teased, heading inside after shooting the boy a playful wink.

She closed the door quickly, making sure JJ couldn't be seen. Her house was small, consisting of a tiny kitchen, a living space barely big enough for a couch, one bathroom, and two small bedrooms. Her father had never been in her life, at least that she could remember. She didn't even know who the man was, but she tried not to let it bother her; there was nothing she could do about it. Her mom had her brother, Alex, when she was 16, and Devyn when she was 19. After their mom died, Alex was the only family Devyn had left, although to say the two didn't get along would be an understatement.

"Where the hell have you been?" Alex barked at the teen, who slipped past him and into her small room. A closet, mattress on the floor, and pictures on the wall are what her living space consisted of.

"I was fishing with John B," Devyn told him, hands shaking slightly as she rummaged through her closet to find a clean bathing suit. "I'm just changing and then I'll be out of your hair." She told her brother, slipping into a black bikini and a pair of jean shorts.

Devyn opened her door, only to be met with Alex standing right outside. He grabbed her arm tightly, causing Devyn to gasp at the burning sensation his hand was causing.