6. Bloody Lips and Bruised Hearts

⚠️TW⚠️Abuse

After JJ and Devyn made it to the Boneyard and set up the keg, they decided to take their time getting ready

After JJ and Devyn made it to the Boneyard and set up the keg, they decided to take their time getting ready. The sun was still shining brightly outside, meaning they had at least two hours before people would even begin to show up.

"Yours or mine first?" Devyn asked as they trudged through the sand, making a face as she stepped into the slightly damp grass that transitioned to the neighborhoods of the Cut.

"Mine then yours?" JJ asked, smiling at the girl.

"Yessir," she grinned, looking at the blonde boy with furrowed brows. "Why are you smiling at me?"

"You're beautiful," JJ blurted without warning, causing Devyn to stop in her tracks.

"What?" She scoffed, arms crossing on her chest as she looked at her best friend.

"What, am I not allowed to compliment you?" JJ laughed, trying to play off his previous statement, even though it felt like his heart was exploding out of his chest.

Devyn shook her head lightly as she continued in the direction of JJ's house. "Just wasn't expecting it," she shrugged, before muttering, "from you of all people."

"Hold on, what's that supposed to mean?" It was JJ's turn to stop walking now as he turned to Devyn.

"Nothing," she sighed, squishing some mud with the toe of her shoe. "I just didn't realize you saw me that way."

"How could I not?" JJ scoffed, sounding almost offended by her statement. "You're the prettiest girl I've ever seen, you're crazy as hell, you know how to pack a punch, and you're always there for me. What more could I ask for?"

Devyn smiled brightly at him, stomach tingling with mixed emotions she never realized she had. "Thank you, J. But you know the rule-''

"Yeah, yeah, I know the stupid rule," JJ groaned, running his hands through his messy hair. "Now hop on my back, you're walking too slow."

Devyn giggled as he bent his knees, arms extended at the sides as she jumped onto his back, latching her arms around his neck, his hands squeezing her upper thighs tightly. "I'm just gonna slow you down up here."

"Dev, you're like 4 pounds, get over yourself," he laughed, sprinting up the grass, relishing in the bright sound of her laughter. He swore it made even the dullest days shine brightly. "I need you to help me pick out an outfit for tonight."

"Why?" Devyn smirked as she rested her chin on his shoulder. "Gonna try and pick up some tourons?" She teased, not putting it past the boy. Tourists, or tourons, as the Pogues called them, were like fresh meat to the residents of Outer Banks.