14. Figure Eight Fiasco

"Devyn," JJ shook the girl gently in an attempt to wake her up, a small smile on his face as he took in her sleeping form

"Get the fuck away from me," Devyn mumbled tiredly, her eyes still closed. To say she wasn't a morning person would be an understatement.

"Come on, DK," JJ groaned, jumping on top of her as he began to shake her violently. Her eyes snapped open as she glared at him, shoving him off as she slowly sat up.

"Someone better be dying," she muttered, wiping the sleep from her eyes groggily.

"We're gonna go test out the drone, come on," JJ pleaded with her. He was genuinely surprised she hadn't killed him yet for waking her up.

The group of Pogues hadn't really talked after Devyn's outburst at The Wreck. Truthfully, none of them knew what to say to her. They all felt guilty that she had been struggling for this long and hadn't seen the signs sooner, especially John B. The two have been built-in best friends since birth and it physically pained him to not have seen his sister was drowning in her own sorrow. If he thought back on it, he could see the signs; the way she wore baggy clothing during 80 degree weather, the way her chocolate eyes had lost their devious sparkle, the way she flinched at loud noises or the way her smile didn't quite reach her eyes anymore. It made him want to punch everything and everyone in sight, including himself.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" JJ asked her softly, smoothing a few stray hairs from her face as he looked at her with admiration. Sure, he had a lot going on at home, but if he had been through half of what Devyn had, he didn't think he could handle it.

She shook her head softly, resting her head on his shoulder as she sighed. "There's nothing for me to say."

"Okay," JJ nodded, respecting her boundaries. He couldn't force her to talk if she wasn't ready to. "I snuck in through your window and got you some spare clothes so you wouldn't have to see Alex," he quickly changed the subject. "I wasn't sure what you wanted, so I kind of brought everything. Swimsuits, shorts, that one t-shirt of mine that you really like-"

Devyn cut him off as she kissed his cheek, wrapping her arms around him tightly, the boy's cheeks flushing in response.

"Thank you, JJ," she smiled softly at him as she pulled away, his hands still resting on her waist.

The fact that he thought about things like this, that he made sure didn't have to see her brother and protected her, caused her heart to swell with admiration and appreciation. Although he liked to act tough on the outside, he truly was the world's biggest sweetheart. He would do anything and everything she asked. Devyn had no clue just how much power she had over him.

"Y-yeah, yeah, of course," JJ scratched the back of his head, unable to wipe the smile off his face. This was progress.

"I'm gonna get changed, I'll meet y'all outside," Devyn told him, grabbing the bag of clothes from next to the bed as she gave him one last appreciative grin, before heading into the bathroom. Her eyes raked over her appearance in the mirror, causing her to internally groan. She looked like shit. The bags around her eyes were darker, giving her the appearance that she hadn't slept in days. The handprints around her neck were now a deeper shade of purple, a few angry sprinkles of blue and red painted across her throat as well. She shook her head, snapping out of her daze as she rifled through the bag of clothes that JJ brought. He wasn't kidding when he said he grabbed everything. Half of her closet was in this bag. Deciding on a maroon bikini set, she slipped into it quickly as she ran her fingers through her tangled hair, deeming it good enough as she exited the bathroom after using John B's toothbrush and headed down to the dock.