16. Behind Enemy Lines

Devyn scrambled off of the blonde at the sound of a new voice, JJ shouting in surprise as they took in the person standing in the door frame

"What did I just walk in on?" Pope questioned, mouth slack in shock.

"We were wrestling," Devyn stammered out.

"We were sleepwalking," JJ blurted without thought right after Devyn, causing both Devyn and Pope to give him bewildered stares.

"You know what, I don't even wanna know," Pope held his hands up, shuddering slightly. "We have a bigger problem; they know."

Those two words were enough to make JJ and Devyn's blood run cold.

"What?" JJ questioned.

"They. Know," Pope emphasized again, Devyn biting her lip anxiously as she scooted as far away on the bed from JJ as she could.

"All right, chill, bro. All right? They don't know shit," JJ shook his head in disbelief, but Devyn's eyes widened.

"Guys, Kooks have backup generators, if Topper has cameras..." Devyn trailed off, cursing herself for their stupidity.

"Oh God," Pope moaned. "Topper knows I sunk his boat."

"How do you know they know?" JJ questioned, still skeptical.

"Because Rafe and Topper posted outside of Heyward's and mad dogged me," Pope spat, pacing nervously in JJ's small room.

"Pope, they're probably just trying to intimidate you after what happened at the golf course," Devyn tried to reassure him, although she didn't believe it herself.

"Will you calm down and get a grip, man? They don't know shit," JJ affirmed, sticking to his guns that they were still in the clear.

"They have cameras," Pope flailed his arm in Devyn's direction as he referred to her previous statement. "They could've seen me."

"There was no power, Pope, how could they have seen you?" JJ questioned, causing Devyn to pinch the bridge of her nose.

"Do you ever fucking listen?" Devyn scoffed.

"It's Figure Eight. They got generators," Pope repeated angrily, more at the situation than at his friends. "They don't give scholarships to kids who vengefully sink boats. It's not a good look on my transcript!-"

"Enough with the regret, bro!" JJ snapped, standing up to face his friend. "They caved your face in. They caved her face in! They hit us, we hit them. It's the law of the jungle. Now, if any Kooks come up to you and ask if you had anything to do with it, you walk up to 'em, look 'em right in the eye, and..."