44. Wanted Man

Despite the chaos the previous night had caused, all five of the friends slept surprisingly well

Despite the chaos the previous night had caused, all five of the friends slept surprisingly well. Devyn had woken up absolutely tangled with her blonde, his arms wrapped around her as though his life depended on it. John B didn't even have the heart to comment on their sleeping position after he saw the way they were cozied up together.

Once everyone was awake, and JJ and Devyn had smoked a celebratory blunt in the falling apart treehouse, tension was at all all-time high in Kiara's car. Everyone was on edge and it could practically be felt in the air as they continued to hide out, unsure of what to do or where to go from here.

The quiet chatter in the car died down at the sound of the radio announcing an update on their situation.

"Good news for residents of Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90 percent of the area should be functional within 24 hours..."

The rest of the broadcaster's words were collectively tuned out as sirens sounded, causing all five teens to sink lower in their seats.

"And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from-"

Kiara promptly shut the radio off from the driver's seat, Pope letting out a heavy sigh from his place in the passenger. Devyn was sandwiched between John B and JJ in the backseat, both boys leaning a head on each of her shoulders.

"Let's game this out," JJ huffed, sitting up slightly as he tried to think of any sort of plan. "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but...who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us? So the accuser is a bigshot land developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused...is John B, who is...pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment."

"Thanks," John B murmured, keeping his eyes closed tightly.

"Shit," Pope rubbed his forehead, trying to prevent the forming headache at their current situation.

"Okay, man," JJ started up again. "Yucatán, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?"

"The other one I suggested was homicide," Devyn raised her hand, quickly lowering it when John B shot her a potent glare.

"Enough with the Mexico and murder bullshit, you two," John B groaned in annoyance. "Sarah's gonna bail me out."

"She did witness the whole thing," Kiara chimed in, though her tone sounded anything but hopeful.

"Thank you," John B quickly said.

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope asked what they were all thinking.

"Not happening, bro. Okay?" Smoke tumbled past JJ's lips as he spoke. "We've gotta get you off the island."

"Yeah, how?" Devyn scoffed, taking the blunt from JJ with a warm smile.