24. The Psychic

Devyn and JJ arrived at the hospital at 9:07, the girl impatiently waiting for JJ to park his bike so they could go inside

"Can you move any fucking slower?" Devyn huffed from the curb, throwing the helmet at the boy, who caught it with ease.

"Patience is a virtue, sunshine," JJ tutted as he hopped off of his bike, grabbing her hand as they started inside.

"Yeah, one that I don't have," Devyn grunted, taking a deep breath as they entered the small hospital.

It was the only one in Kildare Island, the same one she had stayed in after the accident. She tried not to let the memories overwhelm her, instead focusing on the feeling of JJ's cold rings that scraped against the back of her hands. He dragged her to the front desk, the teens smiling at a middle aged Asian woman who greeted them with a grin.

"Hi, we're looking for John Booker Routledge," Devyn told her quietly, squeezing JJ's hand tightly as she half expected the woman to tell her to check the morgue.

She waited nervously as the woman's long nails clacked against her keyboard, squinting at the screen before she answered. "Room 111. Down the hall and on the left."

Devyn's heart swelled with relief as she didn't waste a second, sprinting where the lady told them to go, dragging JJ along with her. They reached the room in a matter of moments, Devyn not hesitating to throw open the door.

And there he was. John Booker Routledge.

"Bird," Devyn sighed gratefully, dropping JJ's hands as she ran over to the boy they had just woken up. She bear hugged him without a second thought, ignoring the shooting pain in her ribs at the action.

"Ow," John B grunted from her impact, although he embraced her tightly.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Devyn sniffled, pulling away as she wiped a tear that had fallen down her cheek. "I thought you were dead, you scared the shit out of me."

"I'm sorry," John B sighed, making room in his hospital bed for the girl. Immediately, she climbed into bed with him, kissing his forehead before curling up in his side, listening to the steady thump of his heartbeat to keep her grounded.

JJ smiled at the interaction, ignoring the pang of jealousy that stung his chest. The two were like siblings and he knew that, he reminded himself, as he plopped down in the chair beside John B's bed.

"I thought you were for sure a goner, brother," JJ tutted, the brown haired boy laughing in response. "You took quite the tumble."

"Yeah," John B huffed, rubbing soothing circles on the small of Devyn's back with his good hand. "The broken wrist, concussion, and broken ribs prove it."

"I'm gonna fucking kill Topper," Devyn seethed, trying to sit up as John B pulled her back into his arms.

"Easy there, Bug. We can deal with him later," John B glanced down at what she was wearing. "Is this Maria's?"