26. Not A Dropamino

After the group discussing the plan and deciding to split up to check out the property, JJ and Devyn were stuck in the 'decapitation quadrant," as the blonde liked to call it

The pair walked carefully through the overgrown grass and scratchy branches, ready for just about anything.

"I'm warning you now, sunshine. If I even smell old lady, it's over for all of you," JJ told Devyn seriously, causing her to snort as she adjusted her grip on his hand.

"You're just gonna leave me here for the axe murderer?" Devyn raised her dark brows as she challenged him. "I find that hard to believe."

JJ opened and closed his mouth for a moment. "No, but I would think about it."

"Okay, that's fair," the black haired girl chuckled at his words.

JJ Maybank had an undeniable way of making her forget about all of her problems, even when he didn't mean to.

"We ever gonna talk about those bruises on your ribs?" JJ chewed on the inside of his cheek as he took down his hood, sweat dripping from his light locks.

"Do we need to? We both know where they're from," Devyn chuckled lightly, nodding to affirm that she couldn't see any hickies if he had his hood down. "What good would talking about it do?"

JJ sighed deeply. "I don't know. I just wanna be there for you, I guess. I wanna make sure you know that you can talk to me about this stuff, and I'll try to too. I know you're not ready for a relationship, but I am, just say the word."

She couldn't help the smile that crept upon her lips, reaching onto her tip toes to kiss him softly, his hands circling over the hoodie she now had tied around her waist.

"You are the sweetest boy ever, Jackson Joseph Maybank," Devyn told him softly after she pulled away, although neither of them made a move to separate.

"And you're my person, Devyn Odessa Keoka," JJ grinned back at her, pressing a loving kiss to her forehead before taking her hand to continue their search.

Devyn and JJ found the other three Pogues not long after, the group deciding to look in the basement of the house that John B spotted.

"Down came Mrs. Crain and cut off all our heads, up came the sun and dried up all the blood," JJ sang to the tune of The Itsy Bitsy Spider, his friends less than amused at his antics.

"Can you stop?" Pope sighed frustratedly, the blonde flinching slightly at his tone as Devyn simply laughed.

The Keoka girl swatted a mosquito away from her face, accidentally smacking Pope in the side of the head, who turned around quickly, clearly startled.